lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Transmission Question

I finally found the problem with the tranny in my G16. The input shaft bearing was bad which caused the shaft to be unevenly worn. Anyway, I replaced the shaft, the 3 bearings inside the tranny, and the input shat bearing. I'm noticing the shaft moves in and out a small mount when you pull or push on it. I haven't put gear oil in yet. Is there supposed to be any play like that in the shaft? The tranny is rotating freely, and I double checked that all of the parts were put back properly. As always, I appreciate any input from the group....
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Transmission Question

There shouldn't be any noticeable end play in the shaft. You will need to add another shim or combination of shims to take out the play. It took me 3 or 4 tries until I got it right.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I foolishly didn't check the play before I removed the old shaft. I installed a new spacer that was a small amount thicker than the original. The new shaft came with more spacers. I should add more until there is no more in/out play? I can add more. I had a feeling that there should be no play whatsoever, but does it sound reasonable to add more spacers to the new shaft than what was on the old shaft? I installed a new gasket and double checked the mating surfaces of the tranny and the tranny cover to make sure everything was correct.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Yep, you will need to add another one. Check the thickness of the spacers from the kit-- I believe the are not all the same.

My old shaft had 1 spacer. I reused it and had slop. I wound up using 2 different ones.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the advice. I put one new spacer on so far. It's a little thicker than the original. I'll check the thickness of the others and work from there. I'll try to put the thickest ones that I can on the shaft without having the shaft bind up. Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha