lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #21
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Default Re: My Official G22A Build - nickname TBD

Initial test drive proved no forward or reverse. Talked to smallblock and he had me test some things. Tests lead to something internal. Pulled the cover off found no shavings or chunks. Found that the cog was not fully engaging (pictures to come). Put the cover back on to clean up and decided to start the engine. After starting, I felt tension and cart wanting to move. Backed it off the trailer and drive it around the yard. Still don't have positive engagement, but it's a start.

MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #22
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

To add to my above post: I did not do anything to the cart, other than pull the diff cover off. Things that smallblock had me check were: check for cable movement and shift lever at transmission with the F/R lever moving (this was good), using a 12mm socket on the shift level shaft to confirm full rotation (this was good), but neither resulted in turning the secondary and feeling lockup. With rear tires off the trailer and engine running, one tire would spin. I suspected the gear that the cog engages may have been stripped, but now I'm confused.

Fast forward to getting ready to save everything: forward locks in and stays engaged. Even drove around the yard a few times. Didn't get wide open or anything because I didn't put any diff oil back in. When I shift to reverse, I will get some reverse, but then no reverse at all. Shift into reverse and can feel the cart go backards when applying throttle, but then nothing at all. No grinding noise what so ever. When I put the cart up on the trailer to shut down for the day, it seemed as the reverse may have started working. I was putting it back on my trailer and kept going fowards and backwards to get lined up to the ramps and seemed to have reverse longer than before.

Picture of secondary:

Picture of overall internal diff:

Cog position in reverse:

Cog position in forward:

Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #23
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Something is seriously wrong, that trans is eating itself, those gears look chewed-up. You should stop driving it until you can pull it all the way apart and check all the gears, shafts, and bearings.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #24
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

The gears aren't chewed up. Your seeing refletions from the flash, unless there is something that you are seeing that I'm not. When I first pulled the cover off, I turned the secondary by hand for a full revolution of the ring gear checking for knicks and pieces missing, I would nothing. I did the same for the smaller gear on the input shaft (would this still be the pinion gear?) and found nothing.

I did talk to the guy I got the cart from and what he remembers is the guy had told him there was no shifting or neutral on the cart, so that is the reason the cart became a donor cart.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
cgtech

Yamaha

I can assure you, the things i pointed at with green arrows are not the sign of a happy axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_IMG_20140413_103628458034586.jpg (199.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
cgtech

Yamaha

The gear teeth should be smooth and shiney, with straight edges, not "chingered" like these.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #27
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The gear teeth should be smooth and shiney, with straight edges, not "chingered" like these.
Thanks for the picture. Let's start with the shifting issue. Do you have anything that you know of that I can check for the shifting issue?
Old 04-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
hello
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That sure looks like a club car belt I would think that is the wrong belt for that cart.
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #29
cgtech

Yamaha

Def wrong belt, says club right on it. I think you should pull the axle, and disassemble and inspect. Might as well find all problems now. If you are looking right all the parts fully, and up-close, there will be no speculation on what the problems are.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #30
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Def wrong belt, says club right on it. I think you should pull the axle, and disassemble and inspect. Might as well find all problems now. If you are looking right all the parts fully, and up-close, there will be no speculation on what the problems are.
Is there anything special I need for disassembly? Could you list out things I need to inspect or measure and report back with?

I can get the cart off the trailer and pull the axle/transmission off, then disassemble the axle/transmission in the shop.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha