lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
redone76
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 clutch overheated?

I recently restored my '89 G2 and have been running it fine with zero issues. This past saturday I took it out for a 15 mile trail ride and had no running or shifting problems. When I went to put it away I heard some rattling from the clutch housing. I removed the cover and found all the plastic washers and bushings had melted and the spider slides were melted also. I had rebuilt it with a weight kit from ebay and installed a new belt also from ebay. My question is what could have made this happen and does anyone sell new slides or is someone willing to sell me a good used set? Thanks in advance!
redone76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
redone76
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G2 clutch overheated?

Nobody has an idea???

Well I went ahead and ordered a new double cogged belt from CPP and new clutch oil seals from the King. I have the good used set of weights and washers from my rebuild that I can reinstall. I looked at the slides and the they look pretty easy to machine so I'll give that a shot. Unless anyone has a good set they're willing to sell!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm not sure how your clutch could have been that damaged and not give you any signs of failure. But if it was getting that hot that the plastic parts melted, then it was either not lubed at all and the parts were creating friction, or the belt was heating the sheave faces up from slippage. If your belt was slipping that much you would have smelled warm rubber. So it sounds like everything just let go inside the clutch.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
redone76
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I'm not sure how your clutch could have been that damaged and not give you any signs of failure. But if it was getting that hot that the plastic parts melted, then it was either not lubed at all and the parts were creating friction, or the belt was heating the sheave faces up from slippage. If your belt was slipping that much you would have smelled warm rubber. So it sounds like everything just let go inside the clutch.
I agree with you on the belt slippage because I took another look at my belt and one side is super shiny and one isnt. Thats what made me order a new double cogged belt from CPP. I think my cheap ebay belt bit me in the arse! It does have all new engine mou nts and the torque starp is adjusted correctly. Anything else that can cause belt slippage?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I've got an extra clutch for a G2 I would be willing to sell.
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
redone76
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic247 View Post
I've got an extra clutch for a G2 I would be willing to sell.
How much?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

$65 and I'll cover shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140504_132441521_HDR.jpg (89.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140504_132618661.jpg (64.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140504_132612248_HDR.jpg (86.5 KB, 0 views)
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I think I have the slides that go in there.

It is the job of the secondary to keep belt tension, or you have an alignment issue. Make sure there are no holes in your clutches they do wear through at some point...if they are old and aluminum.

The belt should only slip when it engages, and for a stock G2/9 that is about 1,000rpm. After that it should not slip. So you need to go under about 5mph to get it to slip at all. You could put a umax spring in that helps for trail riding, though I don't think you would have this issue unless something is wrong or you are doing something with it at slow speed/stopped that is slipping the belt a lot. People work on the clutches because they are not ideal for trail use, putting a HD belt on and cut sheave and umax or aftermarket spring helps though usually not an issue until you lift the cart thus gearing it up. Also check the belt 1" wide is worn out and past worn out for a lifted cart. They are 1 3/16 wide new, the HD belt may be 1.25 wide new and IMO better for worn clutches and trail ridden and/or lifted carts.

I have a clone but the cut sheave/umax spring/HD belt from CPP all work great on it just like on stock engine. I may go back to a stock spring due to where I ride at times and because I will have a different primary soon. Also you tend to need more clutch mods for stock engines, the clone will spin up hills it does not have power issues.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
redone76
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the offer on the clutch but I was able to come up with the slides only for a good deal. Thanks for all the help and advice too. Once the engine is done getting rebuilt I'll put it back together and let you know how it turned out!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha