lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
bigman91
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Adding a extra battery

Ok I'm wanting to put a Marine deep cycle battery in the back. To hook my lights and radio too. I only got enough room for a lawn mower battery in the factory spot. Got a idea how I want to hook everything up. Just interested in how any of you guys have done it. It's a 85 ezgo 2 stroke

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
bigman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Adding a extra battery

Are you planning on adding a second battery to the charging/starting system? Meaning, like connecting second battery to first battery or keeping them separate and having to manually charge the deep cycle?....

My 85 fits a bigger than what I'm thinking a lawn mower battery is, seems you'd be better off if you could find a deep cycle that would fit and only use it......

Also, if you're going to connect two batteries together they must be of the same type and size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buggy battery.jpg (240.9 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
bigman91
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My first thought was to connect them together but then remembered that they need to be same size and type. I haven't tried to put the bigger battery in yet was just eye balling it. Great that it will fit a car battery. Thanks for the help. Would of got back to ya sooner but the Tapatalk app isn't notifying me of anything

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
bigman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
DanMan21
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm thinking with a marine/boating thought process. In a boat you would put 2 batteries with 2 battery switches and an isolator. When you go to use your cart, you would put each battery switch to on. They would be isolated from each other, but both would charge while running your cart. If one were to ever die, you would then put each battery switch to combine/all...this would allow all electronics and cranking to function until you get a new battery.

It's something I've thought about for my cart if I were to add more speakers or a sub & amp. I'm sure there is room under the rear seat (that same battery area you are talking about) for a couple of small battery switches.

Really just a thought...but at the same time, I' wouldn't want batteries and cables exposed (Although I suppose the batteries are always pretty exposed on a golf cart). Maybe a battery box would work nicely.
DanMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

I've just got a lawn mower battery in the sweater basket to run my led lights. Gotta charge it maybe 3 times a year as I don't go far after dark. I've got a great reducer from ScottyB that I've been too lazy to install so thats next on the list.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #6
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

I installed an RV style isolator in mine. The cart charges both batteries while running.

My secondary/accessory battery is just a small sealed 20ah unit that I mounted with a custom bracket on the frame fairly close to the main battery.

My main battery only starts the cart, the secondary runs my roof rack lights, underbody lights, in dash charging ports and a small bluetooth amp that runs a couple of marine speakers.

The cart doesn't draw from the secondary battery to start.

I did it that way in case any of them get left on, it wont drain the main at all.
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO