lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
hanly2
Getting Wild

Default Governor adjustment question

Ok I have searched and read a lot of threads but couldn't find a good answer. I found the mod for a pre 97 cart, but not for a 01. Also I would like to know if I can adjust the governor without removing the rev limiter. I don't need the cart to go super fast just a little faster then 12mph. Also I will not be the only one driving it so I don't want someone else to blow up the motor revving it too high.
Thanks
hanly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Governor adjustment question

Governor and rev limit should be two different things, the rev limit is part of the ignition and cuts spark at X rpm. Some you can disable some not.

Most of the governor mods you adjust the pedal up to pull more, long as it still idles. Beyond that you stiffen up the spring, beyond that you usually remove them as high pressure wears the throttle cable faster and you are going near that fast anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Governor and rev limit should be two different things, the rev limit is part of the ignition and cuts spark at X rpm. Some you can disable some not.

Most of the governor mods you adjust the pedal up to pull more, long as it still idles. Beyond that you stiffen up the spring, beyond that you usually remove them as high pressure wears the throttle cable faster and you are going near that fast anyway.
I don't understand a bloody word of that dissertation. Are you drinking more heavily than usual tonight Sho ?

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
hanly2
Getting Wild

Yeh that was a little helpful. I have searched and read the stickies but the only detailed info I saw was for adjusting the governor on the older model cart. I also understand that they are 2 different things. But I was wondering if I can make the cart faster by adjusting the gov. without hitting the stock rev limit. Can anyone provide me with a simple detailed solution? Should I just try the zip-tie trick on the spring?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have seen small zip ties ran thru the little spring and it pulls the govenor quicker?
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The stiky I found said to shorten the rod from the pedal to the box on a DS. I was doing a carryall and the cable from the box to the governor arm on the trans is adjustable at the box. So I adjusted it near all the way, this makes the cart take off with the pedal much higher than it was. Before you have to push it maybe 75% of the way down before the cart moved. So you adjust the rod or cable or whatever you find to take up the slack. If that is not enough you tighten the spring with zipties or shorten it, etc. Most carts all use the same deal, but yamaha have an adjuster on the spring CC does not you have to mod the spring. You just keep going until it hits the rev limit. In the sticky you can put in neutral buy turning the service collar on the back of the shifter, then hold the pedal to the floor and adjust until it hits the rev limit. The governor is active in neutral. Note if you make the spring not spring anymore by fixing its length, it will disable the governor. You want to pull the spring tighter to reach X speed by adjusting the cable or shortening the spring or use a stiffer spring on the governor arm. You can only take out so much slack on the pedal it must not open the throttle on the engine until after it starts. At that point you must work on the spring.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
I don't understand a bloody word of that dissertation. Are you drinking more heavily than usual tonight Sho ?

Chris.
No time to drink during the week I don't work on all the CC but just trying to help since nobody seems to be around.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
2monsters
Gone Wild

Club Car

I used the zip tie mod on my 87 cc and it gained a couple more mph. I also did it on my 2005 Precedent and that sucker flys. On my 2003 ds i'm just going to bypass the governor all together. Just make sure if you use the zip tie mod, once you get it set to where you want, throw a couple of zip ties on there.
2monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

My zip tie gets me in the rpm limiter @ 28 mph.

If you tighten the throttle cable at the black box to much your cart will not shut off.
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
hanly2
Getting Wild

What?? 28 mph and thats just with the zip-tie mod? Holy crap. Did you just zip-tie the whole spring so that it doesn't stretch at all? So you don't recommend tightening the cable at the box? Just zip-tie the spring?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car