lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #111
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Charging System Troubleshooting

Sergio, I'm not sure you will see this old of a post, but here goes.
I have been having OBC issues, specifically, the OBD sometimes will not activate the 48 volt relay in the PowerDrive charger. I can take a battery pack meter reading and each time it shows I have 49 volts available. I did a meter reading inside the charger case and some times there isn't any voltage at the relay and some times there is. I can use jumper leads to jump start this relay from my main 48v pack, so I know it works. A meter check at the charge plug receptacle, on the cart shows both fuses to be good, but no power from the grey wire (OBC). If I use a jumpered PowerDrive charger with the relay wired around, I can add an hour of charge to the battery pack and then re-attach the standard non jumpered PowerDrive charger, the charger will kick on the relay (50v on the grey OBD wire) thus I am able to complete a charge sesion.
The odd thing is the yellow Club Cart battery light will blink one short and one long sequence the next time we use the cart.
Which it is saying we had a incomplete or faulty charge session. The batteries are new and never go below 48v and are charged up to 52v each time we use the cart. I have followed the OBD reset procedure and it doesn't seem to help.
I noticed in your post that you suggest that my main pack ground post shouldn't have any other grounds attached ahead of the OBD. One wire only from this battery ground, to the OBD. All of my inverter grounds (lights, battery gage, ect), should be on the B- terminal of the controller? I currently have all of these ground wires on a terminal strip, which is then routed to the #6 negative battery post along with the OBD wire. I can wire this negative terminal strip directly to the B- negative post of the controller if you think that this will stop the OBD / PowerCharger relay flakiness
Harlow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #112
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should move the negatives to the Controller B-, that is necessary so that the OBC can account for the current being used by the accessories.

As far as resetting the OBC, the only procedure needed (and effective) is to disconnect the pack negative for over 10 minutes, there is no need to move switches or press the pedal.

If You have not cleaned the charger receptacle, you can perform all 3 tasks at one time:
Disconnect the pack negative cable.
Move Your negative wires to Controller B-.
Put some WD40 on the cart charger receptacle and insert and remove the charger plug several times in order to clean the inside of each socket and pin.
Connect the pack negative wire again.
If You want to avoid a spark when you connect the pack negative cable back, just use an incandescent light bulb in series with the cable for a few seconds before touching the cable directly to the battery post.

Light bulb base touching the battery post and cable touching the bulb threads for 5sec then place cable on battery post.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #113
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio, Thanks for the tip. I will order some 10ga wire and move that lead from the #6 battery, to the B- on the controller. Will let you know
Old 04-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #114
Ploki
Not Yet Wild

i have a 36v lester charger that wont turn off.the model number is 19490.is the a part i can replace for the correct charging cycle?
Ploki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #115
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploki View Post
i have a 36v lester charger that wont turn off.the model number is 19490.is the a part i can replace for the correct charging cycle?
Not familiar with that charger, but call David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars 706-431-3917. He has a lot of charger rebuild kits and can tell you for sure.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #116
Harlow42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio.
as a follow up, I found a faulty blade terminal in the PowerDrive charger, at the diode connection on the relay (sometimes the charger had ground and sometimes it didn't), and I found that my ground ring connector from the OBD wire on the #6 battery post was loose.
Plus, I found that the fuse holder in the yellow fuse holder for the grey trigger wire, on the back of the charge receptacle, was broken. Sometimes it had continuity and some times it didn't.
Now, I found all of this as I was removing the OBD -
I ordered the Lester Summit Series II Onboard Battery Charger 650W 36/48V, and was installing it and moving all my accessory grounds to a bus bar, then to #6 battery post.
I also installed a new #4 ground wire directly from #6 battery post. to the controller B-.
I completely removed the OBD and it's wiring harness. As far as I know, all I have left is to do, is remove all the pins, but the white and blue wires in the OBD harness plug then connect them together and then plug it back into the controller?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad Blade connector.jpg (357.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bad fuse holder connector.jpg (472.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #117
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need to connect the Blue and White wires together on the harness side connector but do not connect the OBC back.

The OBC should be left disconnected.

Since this is a Regen II cart, You should also install an inline fuse at the Solenoid red/white wire that powers the Tow/Run switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #118
Automobilist
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I tried to wade through all 12 pages of this thread. Really, I tried...

Just bought: 2007 Club Car Precedent 48V (12 X 4) Batteries many years old, appear done.
  • Power Drive 3 charger.
  • Installed four new Trojan 12V batteries. Voltmeter indicates 50.3V at battery pack.
  • Plugged in charger to test, as seller told me "charger doesn't work".
  • Charger clicked.
  • No hum.
  • Ampmeter does not move off ZERO.
  • Dash battery light does not light up.
  • Verified good power to charger from outlet.

Should I simply drive it some to see if the charger kicks in?

Thanks, this looks like a pretty savvy group here...

Ed
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #119
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

No, that will not make it turn on. You can bypass the OBC real quick and see if it has failed. Run a jumper from the back of your charge receptacle at the black 10g wire (the side that runs to the harness) connect it to the main pack negative post. The grey sense wire is ok as you heard the relay pick up.

If it runs with the jumper, you have a bad OBC. If not, we will have to look inside the Powerdrive.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #120
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
I tried to wade through all 12 pages of this thread. Really, I tried...

Should I simply drive it some to see if the charger kicks in?

Thanks, this looks like a pretty savvy group here...

Ed

Nope, that will only run your batteries down.

Sounds to me like it's a problem in the charger. Either a poor connection or damaged AC wiring. Could also be a failed circuit breaker, or a failed relay even though it clicks, the AC contacts may not be not passing current to the transformer.

Take the case off and check the wiring from the AC cord where it comes in the back. Follow the black wire to the circuit breaker and the relay on the front cover. Check for any obvious damage to those. If you have a multimeter, and promise to not electrocute yourself, then plug the AC cord into the wall outlet, and check for 110V AC power reaching one black wire at the relay. (the one that comes from the circuit breaker)
Now plug in the DC cord to the cart, listen for the relay to click on and the transformer should hum, then check for AC power coming out on the other black wire from the relay. Depending on the issue the transformer may hum, but will be very quiet if there is no load on the transformer due to a DC side issue that is preventing DC output.
You should now have AC power on both black wires of the relay, and AC power going to the transformer. If you have no AC power coming out of the relay, the relay has failed.

If you do have power to the transformer, but still no hum there could be an issue with the neutral wire which is under the transformer and kind of a pain to get to.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car