lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Default Time for new batteries 😞

I have a 92 club car 36 volt with stock 275 amp curtis controller and stock motor. Cart runs great and will go 19-21 mph top speed. Unfortunately my batteries are 5 years old and 2 of the batteries are pretty much dead. Thinking about upgrading to 48 volts for more speed and run time. Not sure why the cart does 20 easily with 36 volts maybe has high speed gears? I've actually had 3 ppl on cart and hit 20mph when battery's were still strong. Will this thing go faster if I go 48 volts? Everything I have read says 48 volts will increase torque and speed by 33%. I have searched pretty much everything on these forums but any extra help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
BballBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Time for new batteries 😞

If you are going to upgrade to 48v better go all the way and convert to solid state. 48v will burn the toaster resistors up.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it has a curtis controller, there are no resistor coils

If you bump to 48v you’ll need the batteries and obviously a 48v charger. You’ll also need to upgrade the solenoid and controller to something that will handle 48v. Alltrax or navitas.

And honestly if you’re gonna dump that kind of money into it, I’d step one more step up and upgrade to lithium drop-in pack while you’re at it. It’s not a whole lot more expensive than lead batteries, but since you have to upgrade charger anyway some kits come with a charger.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:56 PM   #4
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Bro there is no toaster oven parts in this cart I stated that I had a curtis controller. Yes I know I need another charger for 48 volts but lithium is way more expensive than that.
I figure I'd get 5 or 6 years out of lead acid batteries then upgrade to lithium. After 5 years lithium should be cheaper so I'll upgrade to that down the road. I'm planning on buying the alltrax 500 amp controller, solenoid and 2 gauge wire. My question is will this cart run faster than 20 mph after upgrading to 48? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:19 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Without knowing what motor you have in there it’s impossible to tell.

If you’re running 20mph on the original stock 36v series motor then yes probably. But I highly doubt that’s the case. Verify your motor is compatible with 48v first. Most series motors are compatible and will run faster on 48v yes. But I have seen aftermarket motors designed for 36v that are speed motors, and won’t last long if at all with 48v. I had one in an ezgo once, think it was an EMP.

Id really recommend checking that before doing anything though. Or you may be replacing the motor too
Old 11-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Everything on the cart is stock as far as I can tell. Had stock motor 5bc48jb764 and stock curtis 1204 pmc controller, has 4 gauge wires on battery pack but 6 gauge wires going to motor and FNR switch. With full charge it easily hits 20 mph so that's why I'm not sure if it has high speed gears but the torque is still strong. I pass most carts on the road in my area. Right now I can only get 20 mph for about 15 mins of run time then 2 bad batteries start to die and cart will only go 16 mph. I know batteries are shot and I'd rather up them to 48 volts mainly for the extra run time but extra speed would be awesome also. Lithium sounds great but doesn't seem to have a lot of info on dropping them into a 30 year old cart. Also lithium would still require me getting a 48 volt controller anyway
Old 11-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you were getting 20 MPH with your existing setup, you will easily get 20 going to 48, and possibly more.

With stock gearing, motor and tire size, the rpm's of your motor determines the speed. At 20 mph, you are running at around 4500 RPM. So going to 48 volt on the 36 volt motor may get you 24 MPH at 5500 RPM but with a new controller.

This is all based on the RPM setting of your controller. If it is set at the highest speed adjustment at 4500, then you have 20 MPH.

If you go to Alltrax, you will have more flexibility, if your motor can handle it.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #8
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

I forgot to say that I have 10 inch rims but tires are 18 inches tall so I believe that's the same size as the factory tires. I want to put the altrax 500 amp controller on it but only plan on running it at like 400 amps max so I don't burn the stock motor up. 25 mph would be great speed. Definitely want more torque since I'm always riding with people on the cart and i use it to load up on groceries. Does the rear body of the cart have to come off to change speed controller? There's no access port and controller mounded up under the body.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d still really recommend you verify the brand and part number of the motor, and controller before doing anything. I find it hard to believe you’re getting 20mph on a completely stock 36v DS. That’s a lot… SOMETHING has been modified….
Old 11-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is the full model number on your Curtis controller?

M/n 1204-4xx and 1204-5xx are rated 36 to 48 volts. If you have this one, it can handle 48 volts.

M/n 1204-6xx is rated 24 to 36 volts. If you have this one, 36 volts is all is can do.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car