lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: DIY - 4 x 12v to 6 x 8V Conversion (Part 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinds6 View Post
I have the speedylink installed on my cart ('04 Precedent). Will I be ok with doing this conversion or will I run into any issues with anything as far as the OBC goes?
Thanks!
Will not cause any problems, go for it.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #32
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

i forsee problems with this setup. 1. that bucket does not provide adequate ventilation. the re-style does but still not best.
2. you do need to change your OBC. that obc was made to charge 4x12. not 8x6. there is a difference. trust me. id hate to see someone POTENTIALLY ruin batteries by doing this. i'm all for home brew remedies, but this is an area you shouldnt skimp on.
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #33
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Been fine for four months and no problems, but you probably know more than us.

There is more ventilation cuz i cut holes in bottom and sides of bucket, try it and see for yourself.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

U know what bothers me bout posts like this is they are alays pushing new parts on us, obc, new wires etc, etc.. I will let you know if there are any problems with this setup.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #35
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

My only reply to the comment is this:
I know for a fact the conversion is electrically safe. Where's my fact come from? I have over 25 years in the power conversion / RF industry and two degrees in the field.

This said, I do NOT know the details you may know about the club car. I make no claim to be an expert in that field and I will consider the advice of any person with experience in that realm. I know that I can make decisions based on empirical measurement such as temperature readings (via IR probe or thermocouple)... and I can take measurements on current and graph them over time. And since I have these capabilities... I'll do that. Because the last thing I want to do is make a post that would contain bad information.

Here's what I will do:
I'll thermocouple the controller and OBC and see how the temperature fairs over normal usage. (Since their configuration is no different than they were from the factory, I wouldn't anticipate a problem... but I'll do it just to confirm). And,
I'll connect the data port on the controller to the handheld programmer (which I've recently acquired.) The CC OBC records energy units used and then returned to the batteries during charging. At the same time, I'll use a Fluke datalogger to measure the voltage curve over the charge / discharge cycles.

Understand... my intention is not to start a "post" argument. None of us have anything to gain from that. But I accept your concerns, and your knowledge on the topic. And I appreciate your position. I want to make sure my statements are ALL accurate. I will post what I learn.
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #36
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Interesting indeed. Especially the unique attitude that somebody is trying to get rich tricking somebody into buying something they don't need or that 4 months and it still works is a conclusive battery life-cycle test.

I'm curious as to why the Club Car and the Lestronic engineers would make a different OBC for 4/12 batteries and 6/8v batteries. I assumed the algorithm or total cell count to voltage shut off point was different. (pretty sure that's it)

I have no horse in this race but will wait to read your results CRP
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #37
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Interesting indeed. Especially the unique attitude that somebody is trying to get rich tricking somebody into buying something they don't need or that 4 months and it still works is a conclusive battery life-cycle test.

I'm curious as to why the Club Car and the Lestronic engineers would make a different OBC for 4/12 batteries and 6/8v batteries. I assumed the algorithm or total cell count to voltage shut off point was different. (pretty sure that's it)

I have no horse in this race but will wait to read your results CRP
Scotty - I don't know. As you well know, the Total "cell count" is the same regardless of the battery configuration. Basic chemical physics: a single lead acid cell produces a given voltage, and that voltage is always the same. So to achieve a total voltage of 48... the number of cells is the same. (whether you do that using 6 8v batteries or 4 12v batteries... the number of cells, in total, is the same).

Now the cell capacity is a different story. Larger plates= higher capacity.
As I mentioned in the original post, the software guy at Ingersoll indicated to me is the OBC firmware revision changes accommodated different current demands in REGEN mode. So, if your cart was programmed to disable REGEN, then the version difference from OBC 3 to OBC 5 wouldn't make a difference under that condition. So GolfCartThing's comment has merit, but I'm being told by Ingersoll that situation would only apply if my REGEN function was active. I have programmed mine off.

However - I'm not so pig-headed that I wouldn't consider another expert's opinion. SO... I make all of my decisions based on test and data. I'll let you know what I learn from the measurements. I question the "ventilation" logic mentioned above... considering the computer and controller position haven't changed from the original factory locations. And since that portion of the tub wasn't modified, and remains within the enclosed plastic channel... it doesn't seem reasonable that the temperature would be any different. But, in fairness I'll measure that and post what I find.

There's no race here. I think we are all wanting the best information to get the most performance, cart/battery life and safety for the most reasonable amount of time and money. I'm a big advocate of "you get what you pay for", but at the same time, I'm also a big advocate of cautiously not wasting money and materials when it's not needed... We have become a disposable society and some of it can easily be avoided with a little knowledge.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #38
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

LOL - here's a laugh...
My better half just walked by the desk and read my post on the screen after I wrote it, then looked at me and said: "I thought you were doing this because it was a fun hobby?"

I'm glad there's someone in my life to balance the "nerdiness"!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #39
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

CRP, that would be great

Scotty, I was referring to the charging cycle and whether it is charging the batteries, I think 4 months is sufficient.

My pack is at about 66-68 volts during last pase of charging.

My last charge was Saturday, and pack voltage this morning was 50.7
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #40
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

The obc is programmed to charge the batteries that came in the car from the factory. The algorithm for one brand to another is different. I know on the DS car the obc can be 2 different ones depending if it came with Trojan or us batteries. Not 100 percent sure on the precedent. What I do know is that the charging algorithm for 4x12 is different than 6x8. You should be using a power drive 3 charger with 6x8 because the pd2 doesn't have enough amperage. Or use a power drive 1 charger
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car