lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
chuck-P
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2a Transmission Governor

I have a g2a that I'm modifying. I've extended it by 3 feet and added a 4" lift kit. I'm installing a 420cc engine. My question is the transmission governor, can I just disconnect the accelerator cables and arm or do I need to remove the governor from inside the transmission?

Thanks for any help
chuck-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2a Transmission Governor

You can just take the arm off and leave it, most people do. Some have said on the old G1 they had them come apart inside so they say take them out.....but there are thousands of yamaha running around with it in there and not hooked up. I think breakage might be more due to excessive wear but it hardly ever happens. Bad things will happen if it does come apart inside there. I doubt it makes any difference if it is hooked up or not but don't really know. I have had mine unhooked since 99 and still works fine in a G9. Its not that hard to split the case and take it out, if you have the trans out anyway. Its a little work if the cart is all together.

I remember long ago a dealer telling me they would blow apart, but remember they have a vested interest in you keeping it hooked up so they say things like that. I even had a car dealer lie to me a while ago after they updated the ECU then said they did nothing....the starting problem vanished like magic. Not sure what the new number is written on the emission sticker under the hood, doh, how stupid do they think people are.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
chuck-P
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Sho305, in that case I will call it done and continue with construction. In fact I might even cut the shaft off since it really close to the engine I have mounted and would give me more clearance.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yeah mine is really close too, but I lifted the rear of the engine up maybe 1/2" because I figure if I climb a steep hill I might get oil up the cylinder. Not sure if it would but figure it would not hurt and gave me more room. I was able to use stock belt, stock distance with clutches. What was a pain is routing the air intake hose to my aircleaner.

Check the photos on page 5 of my thread on my clone.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...-clone-bb.html

This is the first clone I did there are photos in there someplace later on, the first photos got wiped with imagecave's disappearing act.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-thread-3.html
Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

It only takes 1/2-hr or so to disassemble the case,remove the govenor,thread the hole for a 3/8"-bolt,and reassemble.Not hard to do at all.Some leave them,some don't,its' up to you.Mines' removed.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
chuck-P
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'm using the same HomeDepot engine except mine has electric starter and an 18 amp alternator. I rotated the pull cord so that its straight up in case I need to use it. I made a piece to replace the black plastic shroud around the carberator and will us a hose to run around to the air filter. It's handy being a machinist. I have a shop looking for a muffler for me. I'd like it to run as quiet as possible. I'll post some pics of it so far in a little bit.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Don't count on it being 18A nobody has found one yet. I ran my hose off the top where the filter goes, I ended up crushing it so I had to cut a piece off a sink drain to fit inside it. Sink drain is very thin in fact this one was plastic. Maybe try a generator muffler.

I want to make an intake to put the carb on top of the engine where the gas tank was, no time to do it.

Tags
g2a transmission
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha