lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
CClark56
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1987 EZ-GO cranks but doesn't run [please help, about to give up]

Okay, I've posted about this cart before. I've got an '87 EZ-GO, shes in great shape frame wise, I got her for real cheap and I'm about at wits end on trying to get her to start up. I've rewired everything to spec and got her to crank real good and hard.

Seems to have good, strong spark. Went ahead and got a new spark plug gapped at .30. I don't have a compression tester or know of anyone who has one but I placed my finger over the spark plug hole and it seems like it does a pretty good job of pushing my finger off of it.

I've taken apart the carb 5 times, cleaned and checked everything on it. The bowl fills up but it doesn't empty or take any gas after it fills. However, I have an alternate gas tank that is gravity fed into the carb, bypassing the fuel pump because the fuel pump doesn't seem to work (I think it's the pump, not the compression, hopefully).

Do I need the pressure of the fuel pump or should gravity fed work? I was choking the carb with my hand and a pool of gas poured out of the intake of the carb and on my hand. Seemed to have good suction when I had my hand over the carb.

The gas is good, premixed to spec. After cranking for a bit, the spark plug seems somewhat kind of wet and smells of gas, slight oily blackness. I unhooked the exhaust to see if it made any difference, didn't start but did note a stronger suction when my hand was over the intake of the carb.

Any suggestions or any ideas? Please help me, I really need it. :(
CClark56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1987 EZ-GO cranks but doesn't run [please help, about to give up]

Did you ever see it run? Is the piston possibly in backwards? Spray a little fuel into the spark plug hole and try again. The piston window should be toward the intake side.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
CClark56
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
Did you ever see it run? Is the piston possibly in backwards? Spray a little fuel into the spark plug hole and try again. The piston window should be toward the intake side.
Yeah I've seen it kick when the guy I bought it off of sprayed a lil starting fluid in the carb. I'll try putting a lil fuel in the plug hole and seeing if it'll kick for me. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Duplicate
Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It sounds like spark timing but I know zero about these carts. Is there a key way on the flywheel that may be off ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

So after I re-built the engine on my in-laws 1987 smoker I couldn't get it to start either...I was just about to take it back out due to max frustration until I noticed that when I pushed on the pedal I was barely getting any throttle movement...I move the throttle with my finger and varoom..let the pedal go and tried again no start....looked at where the cable hooks to the pedal and when I pushed the pedal and the cable was being pushed up it would fold and push outward instead of upward, took the cable out of the housing, peeled back and cut off the offending strands of wire, slid it back together and now it starts and runs just fine....

just my .02
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

SO here's my take based on your symptoms ... You have what seems to be good compression, spark, etc - but no fuel is being pumped, right? do this - pull the fuel line at the carb and crank it over, if you get a dribble or nothing, you've got one of two things - a bad fuel pump or a bad crank seal(s).

You set up a gravity feed and the bowl is getting gas? That only seconds the crank seal opinion ... So let's do a fast test to see if I'm correct.

Jack up the rear wheels (the test can cause sudden ignition and/or runaway, so be safe) and get a buddy and a can of carb cleaner, WD40, or if nothing else, starting fluid. Now, find where the crankshaft exits the rear of the motor (between the engine and clutch) - while a buddy turns it over (key on, press the pedal) spray some of the aforementioned at the spot where the crank exits the engine. Get a pop? maybe a little "oh GOD it's gonna start" sound? Then You my friend have a blown rear crank seal. If not, try the same procedure only this time spray it in the fan opening at the front of the motor (don't be shy) - Pop? That "gonna run"? Well now you know the front is shot.

The fuel pump runs off of crankcase pressure, which a blown seal will lower to the point where it will still pump fuel, but very VERY little of it - you should have a strong, healthy pulse if you pull the fuel line from the carb and turn it over. Crank seals affect crankcase pressure, but NOT compression, so it's possible to have perfect EVERYTHING but a blown crank seal will make that all worth nothing if you want the cart to actually run.

Try those tests and let us know what happens - provided GoTee's cable issue wasn't the problem.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

He's bypassed the fuel pump and has a full fuel bowl from the gravity feed.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
CClark56
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeeMan View Post
So after I re-built the engine on my in-laws 1987 smoker I couldn't get it to start either...I was just about to take it back out due to max frustration until I noticed that when I pushed on the pedal I was barely getting any throttle movement...I move the throttle with my finger and varoom..let the pedal go and tried again no start....looked at where the cable hooks to the pedal and when I pushed the pedal and the cable was being pushed up it would fold and push outward instead of upward, took the cable out of the housing, peeled back and cut off the offending strands of wire, slid it back together and now it starts and runs just fine....

just my .02
Interesting idea, however, after this last straw deal I've taken the choke cable and accelerator cable off the carb and have been applying choke and throttle with my hands trying to get something out of the cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
SO here's my take based on your symptoms ... You have what seems to be good compression, spark, etc - but no fuel is being pumped, right? do this - pull the fuel line at the carb and crank it over, if you get a dribble or nothing, you've got one of two things - a bad fuel pump or a bad crank seal(s).

You set up a gravity feed and the bowl is getting gas? That only seconds the crank seal opinion ... So let's do a fast test to see if I'm correct.

Jack up the rear wheels (the test can cause sudden ignition and/or runaway, so be safe) and get a buddy and a can of carb cleaner, WD40, or if nothing else, starting fluid. Now, find where the crankshaft exits the rear of the motor (between the engine and clutch) - while a buddy turns it over (key on, press the pedal) spray some of the aforementioned at the spot where the crank exits the engine. Get a pop? maybe a little "oh GOD it's gonna start" sound? Then You my friend have a blown rear crank seal. If not, try the same procedure only this time spray it in the fan opening at the front of the motor (don't be shy) - Pop? That "gonna run"? Well now you know the front is shot.

The fuel pump runs off of crankcase pressure, which a blown seal will lower to the point where it will still pump fuel, but very VERY little of it - you should have a strong, healthy pulse if you pull the fuel line from the carb and turn it over. Crank seals affect crankcase pressure, but NOT compression, so it's possible to have perfect EVERYTHING but a blown crank seal will make that all worth nothing if you want the cart to actually run.

Try those tests and let us know what happens - provided GoTee's cable issue wasn't the problem.
Okay, thank you for the write up, I'll try that tomorrow.

I do know the cart kicks, it did it when the guy I bought it off of sprayed a dab of starting fluid in the carb (I know, made me cringe when he did it) and it's kicked a few times on me when I've tried getting it to start, but it's very rare.

It just seems like with the suction I'm getting at the intake of the carb, it should be sucking in the gas and igniting. I've about gone mad lol.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
preciador6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post

Wish someone would of told me this before i took the engine out
preciador6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb, ezgo, fuel, not starting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO