lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
jimmyh3262
Not Yet Wild

Default My First Cart

Hi every one this is my first post I just got my first cart its a 1988 E-Z-GO Marathon GX444. not in to bad of shape needs a little TLC. Got from a guy that owed me $100, Had to rebuild carb got it running but it will hardly move, the motor revs up and sounds good but will hardly for forward moves backwards better. I was looking at what i would call the drive belt and pulleys, the belt has cogs but the pulleys don't is this right. Also if i read right their should only be like 3/8 maximum deflection in the belt and I have like 1 1/2 to 2 inches so thinking the belt is bad just want to get your guys opinion. Not sure what i am going to do with it I do live in a small town in Nebraska and driving a golf cart on the streets is legal. so thinking if i can get it going maybe keep it and go wild on it

Thanks for the read Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart 12.jpg (179.6 KB, 0 views)
jimmyh3262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: My First Cart

Welcome to the site Jimmy . Your gonna want to keep it Im sure esp. for a 100 bucks. adjust that belt up a little and see what happens. But I am still a newbie to the golf cart scene so Im sure someone will chime in. Nebraska ummmm *** its startin to get cold up there I bet.
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking that maybe the brakes are dragging if it revs up good.

There were some good links in the tech section, but they might be missing now.
I will post a .pdf of a manual for an 85. You have the high performance model, so the exhaust is different, and the carburetor is bigger, but the chassis should be very close. Hopefully it will give you some information.

There are also plenty of you tube videos on properly running engines that show how the clutches operate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
jimmyh3262
Not Yet Wild

I think your right papabear1 about keeping it from what i have read but i could be wrong but I don't think their is an adjustment for the belt

I thought about the brakes cart around but it goes better in reverse and if it was the brakes it would go the same in both directions wouldn't it
Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
redcloud
Gone Wild

Good deal with that price. Your belt will be a bit loose as the drive clutch takes the slack out along with the driven when the R's increase. But you should have a straight line from the drive clutch to the driven and no offset of the belt being cocked to one side. If that is the case one of your hold on bolts could be loose or missing and that will give a binding condition that will bog the cart in motion.
Your problem could also be a bad hub that has stripped splines and that could make it move better in reverse as most ware is in forward. I would do a hub assembly check and see if you need new brakes and adjust if not. You can check the hub for spline trouble by jacking the rear end off the ground and turning the rear wheels. if one wheel seems to stay when you turn the other you would be looking at a hub spun.
Happened to me once and my condition was it worked great and when I got on to go one time it just would not move even though the engine rev'd right up. Located the bad hub ( my other hub was a newer one from former owner so did not change that one) and replaced it. If you think both hubs are same age and find one bad, you may as well put two new ones on at the same time.
That being said there is one more thing that can give you a sloppy belt. If the driven clutch is dirty or spring is broke, old and weak, you could have a problem with the shieve not closing up to make belt ride to top of driven clutch when you slow down. You may want to also check that poss. condition.
Best I can do from here for you.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
jimmyh3262
Not Yet Wild

Thanks redcloud for the info will get out here soon and check it out just been to darn cold here to be out in a no heated garage its been 20 for the high here the last couple of days
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
jimmyh3262
Not Yet Wild

ok final warmed up enough to check the cart out. I jacked the rear up and rotated one tire and the other turned right away had a friend help holding one rear tire you cant move the other at all. Also with it jacked up started the motor and watched the drive clutch and it pulled in and seems to be working. It looks like both pulls are moving fast but you can reach down and stop the tires from moving and when you do that the pully on the rear end doesn't look like it slows down any ideas
Old 11-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Check brake drums for stripped splines, remove to inspect.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

If you roll the drive belt off, have your buddy hold the wheel. Try to turn the rear "driven" clutch it should not turn with the back tires being held stationary. If it does, then you have a problem either with the driven clutch, the rear end or the most likely culprit....... a stripped spline/hub. With that being said, you may want to verify the width of the drive belt, should be around 1 3/16". If it has worn too much (they wear on the side) the clutch sheaves cannot grip the belt and it will slip.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
jimmyh3262
Not Yet Wild

can not turn the drive clutch with it siting on the ground and belt off. The belt is only 1 1/16 wide took pics thinking its a bad belt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt 004.jpg (89.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg belt 002.jpg (75.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg belt 003.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg belt 001.jpg (95.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO