lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Runningrough
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 frame pictures

Hello! I am getting ready to install Jake's 6" lift on my G1. I am waiting on the kit to arrive but found the installation instructions online. The lift at the rear shocks needs to bolt to a crossmember and my cross member has been removed by a previous owner. This must be where the ID plate lives as well? Because I can't find the plate the identifies the year.
Once I get the lift installed I will layout a new cross member and weld it in place, but I am wondering if anyone has any pictures of this area on their G1? I would like to see how the factory did it. This is what mine looks like.
Thanks for any information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4374.jpg (186.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4375.jpg (185.5 KB, 0 views)
Runningrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 frame pictures

As far as I know, all Jakes rear lift components mount to the upper shock mounts. But, I've never done a G1 Jakes lift kit, so I could be wrong.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
Field6565
Gone Wild

Request granted! And it has the Jakes 6" installed. Don't mind the 2" blocks on the springs, that's not part of the kit. Good luck with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1446287340423.jpg (211.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1446287365671.jpg (242.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1446287402099.jpg (159.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1446287466910.jpg (151.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1446287490951.jpg (230.6 KB, 0 views)
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Runningrough
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Request granted! And it has the Jakes 6" installed. Don't mind the 2" blocks on the springs, that's not part of the kit. Good luck with it!
Holy cow man! Thank you very much! I couldn't ask for better than that.
Lift, wheels and tires arrive on Tuesday......I can't wait. What a big help these pictures are, thanks again!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Someone cut out the rear cross piece for the mounting of the original bumper. That most likely is where your ID tag was as you stated.

I don't think pictures will be much help in welding a new one in as you won't be sure to get it in the original location.

If I were doing the install I'd wait until I get the lift kit and then mount the rear lift in the front mount. You can then figure out where to mount the rear cross member and what material to use.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Runningrough
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post

If I were doing the install I'd wait until I get the lift kit and then mount the rear lift in the front mount. You can then figure out where to mount the rear cross member and what material to use.
Yes, that is my plan too. I was curious of what it used to look like back there. I have to cut the front bumper off tonight.....someone went crazy welding angle iron to the frame. I am going to make some new bumpers this winter.

Last night my lift and tires/rims arrived! I am excited to tear into this project. The 22" tires look great!

Pictures coming soon! They will either be progress pics or help me pics

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
Runningrough
Not Yet Wild

The front is all lifted. Ran into a couple surprises.....front crossmember was rotted where it connects to the passenger side frame rail. Someone had tried to weld up some metal there and did a terrible job. I cut all that out and repaired the joint. That took longer than installing the front lift!

I had a little time last night to start looking at the back last night. I will need to dent the frame rail a little bit to let the clutch bolt head clear. I will need to remove the engine to have enough room to swing my hammer.

Is there a write up anywhere on removing a G1 engine? I searched and came up empty. I want to leave as much in place as I can and remove the minimum to dent the frame. I'll be able to figure it out, but would appreciate any removal advice that might speed the job up for me. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
Runningrough
Not Yet Wild

Just incase anyone else lifts a G1 and needs to remove the engine to bend the frame:

Remove 4 bolts directly below the engine, they are all close together...within a 6" square.
Remove 2 straps securing the muffler
Loosen starter to remove that belt
Move engine back an inch or two to create enough slack to remove the drive belt
Remove coil
Remove carburetor and disconnect fuel pump pulse line
Remove a section of throttle linkage

I lifted the engine and muffler up together and set it on the passenger floor of the cart. There were 4 or 5 other wires connected to the engine that I did not remove. I cut a few zip ties and had enough slack in the wires to move the engine 2' out of the way.

Heat the frame and beat the indentation in for the clutch bolt head.

Put it all back. Removal, dent, re-installation took me about 2.5 hours.

Hopefully I can gather up enough time to finish the lift this weekend!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm surprised that you had to remove the engine. When I heat and beat my frame I didn't pull mine. I supported the cart frame on jack stands and then unhooked the shocks. I then moved the swing arm up and heated. I bent the frame in far enough to get clearance and then dropped the swing arm and engine below the frame where I could get to it easier. It worked well and I was able to easily get all the clearance I needed.

To install my big block and Team clutch I had to actually cut out part of the frame and box it in with steel and add supports on both sides to get the strength back.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
Runningrough
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
I'm surprised that you had to remove the engine. When I heat and beat my frame I didn't pull mine. I supported the cart frame on jack stands and then unhooked the shocks. I then moved the swing arm up and heated. I bent the frame in far enough to get clearance and then dropped the swing arm and engine below the frame where I could get to it easier. It worked well and I was able to easily get all the clearance I needed.
That sounds like what I first tried. I put the frame on jack stands and removed the shocks and jacked the swing arm up as high as it would go. That did bring the swing arm up past the frame rail giving clear access. The problem I then had was getting good hard hammer swings in a confined space....being under the cart. Then I started to look at removing the engine and decided that would make the job easier. Maybe it wasn't easier....I do have a habit of making things hard on myself
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha