lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
bcnuhawaii1946
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery discharges quickly with tow switch in run mode.

YAMAHA Electric golf cart
2009 Model YDREK

Put cart on charger after sitting 2 days of non use. (Was previously fully charged). Started charge at 2pm. It wasn't until 7pm that it had reached 90%. At 1am it was still at 90% drawing 5 amps on charger (a/c in). Batteries were bubbling and charger was very warm. Unplugged charger.

Put in "tow" mode and disconnected one battery lead. Switched back to "run" mode and put 110 volt candelabra bulb (265 ohms) in series with disconnected battery lead. With ignition off and charger still disconnected, the bulb glowed brightly indicating high current draw. Did not use my ammeter as it only goes to 10 amps.

Checked with switch in "tow" mode: bulb not glowing so checked with ammeter... only 11 ma draw. Reconnected battery leads (still in "tow" mode) and started charge again. Charged in only 5 minutes with charger a/c amperage reaching 14 amps prior to completion. Not sure, however, if tow switch needs to be in run mode for charging?

Conclusion: Battery is constantly discharging and greatly extending charge time with tow switch in "run" mode.

Anyone know what normal current draw is when cart is idle and in "run" mode and does it charge properly in "tow" mode?

Thanx... Robert
(a newbie to golf carts)
bcnuhawaii1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery discharges quickly with tow switch in run mode.

Welcome to BGW forum lots of good info for you here and lots of helpful members as well.
First rule of golf carts, ALWAYS plug the cart in to the charger when not in use. Never let it sit for days 'fully charged'. The batteries will self discharge by themselves. There is also a residual draw on the batteries with the cart in Run . All chargers will get very warm during charging. A charge cycle can take 12-16 hours to complete. You should have left the cart on the charger until the batteries receive their full charge and the charger shuts off. The batteries will also bubble while charging and will only loose water out of the vents if overfilled. Since you stated 'newbie', take a look at the two attachments. Good info on taking care of your batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Guide for Everyone.pdf (50.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Maintaining Golf Cart Batteries.pdf (112.4 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
bcnuhawaii1946
Not Yet Wild

Thanx for the info PingEye3.
I read the articles but still am concerned about the (what seems excessive) current draw while cart is idle and in run mode. I also read the thread about charging while switch is in tow mode. Most answers lean to "it doesn't matter". But a couple answers suggested keeping it in run mode because the computer works in conjunction with the charger.

Any idea what the current draw is when cart is idle and in run mode?

Also... I am concerned about leaving a charger on all the time due to possible malfunction and fire.

Thanx again, Robert
bcnuhawaii1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you don't leave them plugged in they will die an early death on you. Every cart barn with electric carts leaves them plugged in until they are used. I don't know of anyone who puts it in 'tow' to charge on a regular basis.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
CoryN
Not Yet Wild

I was of the opinion that once a cart was fully charged and the charger shut off, it would not start up again unless the charger was disconnected and plugged back in. I was told it does not work like a trickle charger.

We leave our cart in the garage at our lake house, and I always unplug it when we leave, and plug it back in when we arrive on Friday night.

Is that incorrect?
CoryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryN View Post
I was of the opinion that once a cart was fully charged and the charger shut off, it would not start up again unless the charger was disconnected and plugged back in. I was told it does not work like a trickle charger.

We leave our cart in the garage at our lake house, and I always unplug it when we leave, and plug it back in when we arrive on Friday night.

Is that incorrect?
Depends on the cart. A 48v Club Car with an onboard computer (OBC) can be left plugged in indefinitely and will cycle itself every 30 days (?) if the pack voltage has dropped. A Powerwise charger from an EZ Go cart will not restart unless the plug has been removed from the cart itself. Some aftermarket chargers (such as the DPI from Carts Unlimited) will maintain/float the pack if left plugged in.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, battery load, tow switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha