lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Default Clutch Question

Hey everyone..

Ok i have a quick and simple question. Its time for me to replace the drive clutch on my 92 marathon Pg3, and ive been snoopin through all my catalogues and such and im stuck at a prediciment. Should i go with a oem replacement clutch for this cart, or should i go with a comet?

The oem clutch is relievely cheap.. a much less than $200, but is it a good one?, however the comet cluch ive been looking at is avalable from Nivel, but i have to call them up for avalability and cost.

just wonderin if i can get something better than just an oem or comet clutch for my 92.. and if there is anything better. Oh yah, i also have a lathe at my disposal to do any performance tuning to it so what should i do
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Clutch Question

The oem clutches are very good imo. I believe those (3pg and 4 strokes) are made in house at ezgo. I would go with the one thats the best deal.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Great thanks! One thing is, i think that the comet clutches are adjustable, which i think will be good for my application because im running large tires and such..

Its not like i have crappy performance as of now with the worn out factory clutch, it takes off pretty good, and goes good too, its just that it does that kinda jerky take off which is getting worse, and the clutch shoes clank a bit.. Ill experiment and try and rebuild it a bit, but want a new clutch anyways.

Well ill call for a price on a comet, and see where i get.. But yah that oem clutch is a great deal it will be hard to give that up.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Anyone have tried the comet clutch yet? just want to know how much more umph it will give my cart..
Old 03-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've never been impressed with the older comet clutches. They do offer a newer version, which costs $408.10. Factory clutches are the best for the money when compared to the older comet. Has anyone used the new comet yet? If so, let me know what you think! We do use a comet clutch on our 24hp Honda conversions, which work great...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
We do use a comet clutch on our 24hp Honda conversions, which work great...
Funny that you mention that... im also looking for a good clutch for one of the carts im buiding with a big block...

Too many parts and part numbers to make decisions from im going clutch loco here!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's insane for sure - We'll help where we can!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

I know im getting off topic from my 92 cluch question but

Hey Mike,

What clutch do you use on your 24hp carts, ive been looking to get 2 for 2 carts im building for customers, but ive never really started from scratch on one yet.. And i dont want to order the wrong shaft size engines im guessing that the standard GX-670 that is used in these big blocks are a 1 1/8" shaft if im not mistaken, and the clutches fit right on.. its just that there are like 4 clutches ive seen and dont know where to start; as in which to get

Plus all the paperwork junk that i have to go through to get these to canada, letalone any of my parts, makes me want to make sure that i dont want to order the wrong parts.

Another thing i want to bring up is.
Ive been talking to stretch plastics about their evolution kits, and ive orderd some of their long travel front kits in the past, but never their long travel rear kit yet.. im guessing, but havent ask them yet.. "are the stretch long rear travel kits also basicaly the hanger conv kit for a big block similar to the one in the evo kit".. because in the pics of just the long trav rear kit, i see the 4 engine bolt holes, but dont know of anyone who has used the kits yet, and they dont say they will accept a big block, but im sure they are..
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The strech motor kit comes with the clutch and rear suspension. I do not like the rear suspension and do not use them. Coil overs in the rear are too unstable, especially if you run a rear seat kit. I can get the kit, minus the shocks and save you about $100.00. I don't have the part number with me right now for the clutch that we use, it will be Monday until I can get it to you.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO