lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Generator 101

Gentlemen,

I am trying to diagnose an electrical disconnect. I have replaced the four micro swithes and through copius photos replaced the wiring in the fashion it was connected prior to replacement.

I have metered the voltage from the battery (12.7 V), across the coil (12.7 V), to the various poles of the coil (12.7 V) and across the coil when the key is on and the pedal is depressed (0.0 V). That should indicate a bad coil - right? what other metering should I do?

Further, I disconnected all of the coil power wires, ran a power jumper directly from the battery to the generator (what I believe to be the power side of the generator), and got nothing. I am not sure I am connecting correctly. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Here are some photos and what I believe to be the correct poles. There are some poles on the generator that I do not know.

You assistance is requested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf COIL[1].pdf (1.53 MB, 180 views)
File Type: pdf GENERATOR[1].pdf (5.11 MB, 209 views)
File Type: pdf GENERATOR[2].pdf (972.7 KB, 167 views)
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Generator 101

mind if i ask why you jumped past the voltage regulator? 99% of the time when your cart won,t charge right its the voltage regulator.............quite rare for the gen/ side of starter to go bad....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok, a couple things, looking at the picture with the Generator/Starter, I can't read the labels clearly on the generator, but, it almost looks as if you have A1 & A2 switched. A1 should go to ground. A2 should go to F1 (both on generator) DF should go to the yellow wire on the regulator. (by the way, when everything is wired correctly, connecting a wire from DF to a ground will cause the generator to charge full. a good test for generator, but, don't leave it that way, you will cook your bat & maybe your generator) and lastly, F2 on the Generator should go to the solenoid (the device you have labelled a "coil" in another picture) Check those to start with. Basically, the generator is a DC motor, the solenoid just works as a magnetic switch or relay to connect that other big lead on the solenoid (that is connected to the battery) to the big lead that goes to the generator. when it does, it "turns on" the electric motor (generator) and starts the gas motor. Hope I did not over explain but it may help someone else too.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

these may help too...
Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

that may not be your exact regulator, but, same basic setup, yellow to generator DF, red to solenoid, black(s) to ground(s)
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

shadowman/jiminpa, I am having a failure to start problem - a short in the circuit. I can not get power to the generator. Either voltage regulator, solenoid, or engine kill hookup is shorting the circuit. The cart died on the front driveway. It had been working fine. It was stopped in normal fashion and then would no longer fire up. When the pedal is depressed, nothing. Just the clicking of the F/R micro switches, which I have replaced as they are cheap and easy.

Your pdf is worth a thousand words and would have been a good place for me to start. I tried to purchase parts and repair manuals on Friday, but the local shop had none for my year [2002].

I can see from your PDF above that everything is correctly wired in the cart. I mislabeled my photos. I was calling the solenoid a "coil" and I don't know where I came up with that. I also mislabeled A1 and A2. I will correct these and repost the photos in my original post so future readers will not be mislead.

What color labels in my PDFs would be preferred ? It is a dark background, so I used yellow. Looks good on my screen, but if I can't convey the data on yours or everyone else's, then they're meaningless.

I didn't even KNOW I had a voltage regulator. Where is it on the cart? Circuits and power are NOT my friends. Mechanical aptitude I have. Electricity I don't "get".

When the solenoid is activated shouldn't there be a voltage across the main poles of the solenoid or does it all become "common" when it is powered? The battery is registering 12.7 V and the solenoid 0.0 V with the key on and pedal depressed.

I can not see, from the diagram, what the accelerator kill limit switch is connected to (#18 black/white wire to "Engine Kill Hook Up"), but the lack of power in the starter circuit suggests a short somewhere and this may be that somewhere.

Thank you for your help!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

The regulator is the square thing in the lower left of your picture with the solenoid. it has one bolt in the middle and 4 connections. 2 black, yellow and red. it is solid state and does not look like a regulator of days gone by. in that same picture, what you have labelled as a ground on the solenoid is not, it is the main hot lead to the generator/starter. If you were to take a screwdriver and short across those two large poles on the solenoid, the starter should motor. You did check the fuse rught?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fuse is still good. Not burned. "Shorting" across both poles of the solenoid did NOTHING. What does that indicate?

I have been trying to post new PDF's. No such luck with IE 8.0. Very-very frustrating and time consuming.

Just switched to FireFox. I may have to use that FOREVER. It WORKS!

New attachments herein with corrections. Now to get the Moderators to remove the old PDF's so folks are not confused.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SOLENOID.pdf (858.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: pdf GENERATOR[1].pdf (744.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: pdf GENERATOR[2].pdf (576.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

if you short across the solenoid and the generator/starter does not run, you may have a problem with the starter. This is a fairly simple circuit when you think about it. when A1 is grounded on the starter and you feed electric to F2 on the starter, it should run. Check to be sure all your connections are tight. If you are starting to have a problem with a brush in the starter, you may get it to run by turning the pulley a little bit by hand and then trying the switch again. This will position the connections inside the starter on a different winding.
you should be able to go back and edit your own old posting and remove the pictures yourself. (I think, I am new here too)
Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery to solenoid voltages (2002 CC Gas)

List of SOLENOID POLE symbols :
_1 - (#18 Orange) to Limit Switches
_2 - (#18 Blue) to Key
_3 - (#6 Red) to BAT (+) [also #18 Red to FUSE]
_4 - (#6 White) to GEN [also #18 red to VOLTAGE REGULATOR]

List of VOLTAGE readings across SOLENOID POLES:
POLES.............SYS-ON.................SYS-OFF
_1-2.................12.2........................0.0
_1-3.................12.5......................12.8
_1-4.................12.1........................0.0
_2-3...................0.0......................12.6
_2-4...................0.0........................0.0
_3-4...................0.0......................12.7

Line VOLTAGES from SOLENOID POLES to TERMINALS of the battery (SYS-ON):
POLE.............BAT (-).................BAT (+)
_1..................0.0.......................12.4
_2................12.2.........................0.0
_3................12.4.........................0.0
_4................12.3.........................0.0

In RUN MODE, key ON, F/R in F, wheels chocked, it seems that the solenoid is good. Still no ignition of the generator.

Going back to supply power to F1 on GENERATOR with jumper cables.

DANG IT'S HOT OUTSIDE!!!!

UPDATE: Power direct from BAT(+) to F1 = NEGATIVE ACTIVITY (no start/clicks/sound). I even turned the generator belt a twirl or two.

What next???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car