lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

View Poll Results: If you could only use an electric ez-go every 5 weeks how would you charge ?
Charge fully after use, water, and leave unplugged-charge again before use. 2 33.33%
Charge fully after use, water, and leave on trickle charger. 3 50.00%
None of the above- & Ill tell you why.... 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart has sat for about a year...

This place being a vacation home, the Electric EZ-GO will sit in the garage for 4-5 weeks "alone". After I charge these 6 batteries, is there a "trickle" charger to maintain voltage so the cart is ready when I come back after a month or two ? ( boy, I wish this was gas)....
Billfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are chargers on the market which have this feature, but not the stock ones from E-Z-Go.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
Kix
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
There are chargers on the market which have this feature, but not the stock ones from E-Z-Go.
so would one 'google' 36v trickle charger to find one? Or do you have something more specific?
thanks KIX
Kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #14
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

well I know the schauer charger has this feature, and I am sure others do as well.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh oh... I had NO IDEA there even were 8 volt cart batteries .. Im taking possesion of a cart (out of town) with drained batteries next week. All I know is it is a Green EZ-GO with SIX newer batteries but drained as they have sat a year. I planned on using a 12 volt charger to charge up "one pair" at a time before the big charger takes over.

I "assumed" they were 6 volts each & the cart was 36V. Now not sure what to do if these are 8 volt batteries. Should I NOT use the 12 volt charger ? I think 48V would be the best senerio- right ?

Can I use a 12V charger on a single 8 volt battery ? If that is the case, it will take me a while to perk up ALL SIX batteries one at a time.. I am still praying I can salvage these batteries.
Thanks for your help..
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, to answer the Poll Question.......

None of the Above and I'll tell you why......

You do not charge a cart, add water and leave it sit (whether on a regular charger or a trickle charger).

The proper procedure for adding water to a battery (as told to me by the manufacturer Trojan)

1. Fully charge cart
2. Check water level and add as needed
3. Drive cart for at least 30 minutes (they prefer a full round of golf so approximately 6 miles)
4. recharge cart

Following those principles, you are allowing the new water to actively mix with the old acid/water mix and be fully integrated into the battery.

Again, this is simply the information as given to me by one of the top manufacturers of golf car batteries in the world.......
Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #17
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good information.. btw, Did you see my post about the "possible" 8 Volt batteries ? I will not know for sure until Tuesday..

Quote:
OK, to answer the Poll Question.......

None of the Above and I'll tell you why......

You do not charge a cart, add water and leave it sit (whether on a regular charger or a trickle charger).

The proper procedure for adding water to a battery (as told to me by the manufacturer Trojan)

1. Fully charge cart
2. Check water level and add as needed
3. Drive cart for at least 30 minutes (they prefer a full round of golf so approximately 6 miles)
4. recharge cart

Following those principles, you are allowing the new water to actively mix with the old acid/water mix and be fully integrated into the battery.

Again, this is simply the information as given to me by one of the top manufacturers of golf car batteries in the world.......
Old 07-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, in a case like that , I prefer to grab another 48 volt cart and run a set of Jumper cables between the 2. That way you can just plug in the charger that came with the cart, let it run for a few minutes (about 20 or so) and then disconnect the Jumper cables and let the charger do the work.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
Billfo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

DISREGARD THIS POST.. I found another thread that confirms to use an 8 Volt charger on 8 volt batteries or risk damage.. IF they are 8 Volts, I will just get an 8 volt charger...

I will not have another cart available.. "IF" they are 8 Volt batteries, Should I try to charge EACH 8 Volt battery with a 12 V automotive battery charger THEN water & THEN plug in the carts charger ?

***Sorry for my lack of information, but it is 7 hours between the 2 houses & I will have 10 days at the new house & want to get the cart running while my wife has me painting & moving stuff...... Trying to get as much direction as I can before I leave.. I WILL report back & post pictures when I return.. ( no internet access there yet)..
Quote:
Yeah, in a case like that , I prefer to grab another 48 volt cart and run a set of Jumper cables between the 2. That way you can just plug in the charger that came with the cart, let it run for a few minutes (about 20 or so) and then disconnect the Jumper cables and let the charger do the work.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry, follow what I sent you in PM and you should be ok....

Let us know what you find after the walkthrough later this week.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO