lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
buggy123
Not Yet Wild

Question Welding Tips

I am looking to make a couple of modifications to my go kart and my buggy so i will need to do a little cutting and a little welding so hopefully i can find one that has it all in one machine....Does anybody have any idea on where to get any good welding machines for a good price if you do please let me know
buggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
h20loo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Welding Tips

Buggy- here's a plan. Look up "welding supplies" in the yellow pages and go see them. Tell them you want a nice Mig welder with gas and a Plasma cutter. Tell them you want a good one to last the rest of your life.... or.... take a welding course and you will learn how to safely and properly weld and you can probably do all your fabrication in the course and the instructor will tell you if its safe or not.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good welding and good welding machines don't come cheap. You can buy cheap and cross your fingers, or you can take h20loo's advice and take a course and do your project as you learn. If you know how to weld already and have about 2000-3000 to spend, you can get a "good welding machine". If you don't, keep checking ebay or craigslist and expect to spend 500-1800 dollars for a "good" one.

If this is a one time deal, you could go to Harbor Freight and buy a 200.00 welder and a 29.00 grinder and hope they last til the end of the project. Personally, I would borrow a welder/cutter from a friend who knows how to weld, then give them a case of beer and some replacement rods/wire/gas and let them show you how it is really done.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am agreeing with the ones above me. Find a local tech school that has night classes and take the welding class.

I did that here in knoxville tn. I learned so much and they welcome the idea of you bringing in a project to work on.

But to get a plasma cutter and a decent mig rig you are looking at 1400 for the plasma cutter and another 1400 for the mig rig.

But if this is a one time deal. Look to borrow a welding rig and get a decent angle grinder with some cutting wheels.
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
buggy123
Not Yet Wild

Dont really have time to take a welding class i've already purchased a machine with plasma cutting and welding all in 1, i ordered from a company called longevity and they had a good price for what i was asking for with a great warranty...check out my new machine and let me know what you think.......

http://www.longevity-inc.com/product...dAll-160PI.php
buggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks pretty good, some of their product reviews are decent too. Not a super budget item, might be just the machine you need.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do you know how to tig weld? Arc welding thin tube on carts and stuff is an easy way to burn through stuff.

So tig with that machine is the only way to go. Don't forget you are going to need bottles for your gases. I am trying to remember which you need but I do believe tig and plasma cutting might take different gases.

Good luck. And don't forget to install a 220 plug for that machine since it won't run on 110.
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloway View Post
Do you know how to tig weld? Arc welding thin tube on carts and stuff is an easy way to burn through stuff.

So tig with that machine is the only way to go. Don't forget you are going to need bottles for your gases. I am trying to remember which you need but I do believe tig and plasma cutting might take different gases.

Good luck. And don't forget to install a 220 plug for that machine since it won't run on 110.
If I remember right it is helium gas (hence heli-ark) but not sure. Use comp air on all plasma cutters I've used.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
scott hightower
Not Yet Wild

Columbia

Not a big fan of the combo units but both Miller and Lincoln have pretty decent 110 volt stuff for your garage.

If you have room for a double breaker, step up to a 220volt machine for greater versatility and capacity.

Not sure if you are a novice or not if you are make sure you practice a bunch before you weld on your cart. Do a destruction test in a vise to make sure your weld holds.

Scott
Fab Manager
Welders360
scott hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Which model number did you get? I do hope you bought the 220 unit, at least the 520D. For TIG welding use straight Argon, even for Aluminum, the Helium can be used but usually only if you want the Aluminum hotter/helium makes it burn hotter. Straight Argon is great for carbon, stainless and aluminum. Your right about the Plasma just use compressed air.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop