lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #31
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilt my 87 EZGO Engine, still having issues, please help!!!

your custom cart when i built ours i did split the case. found it way easier to replace the seals..you just need some gas resistant sealer to put it back together. permatex makes a grey one advertized for snowmobiles and m.c.s.
i also replaced the bearings as long as it was open. one was sort of rough. really common bearings-picked them up at a local bearing house for about 15 each. good luck.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #32
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've decided to go ahead and split the case. I will get a new case gasket when I order the bearings. Wonder what else I'm gonna need to replace?
YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well you have done all the tedious stuff so now you just have to get the cylinder off (again) and split the crankcase which is just 5 bolts. If the halves are stuck together do not try to lever them apart as you will damage the edges and possibly compromise the seal. They will wriggle apart athough you may find one side of the crankshaft stuck in the case. I used a blowtorch and just gave the bearing a tickle of heat and it literally fell apart.
Here are the correct bearings (and a little history lesson) they also give you the dimensions so you can find them locally which is kind. Still at $11 each it seems like a deal
http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/catalo...d=1042&id=4153
Unless you have the equipment you will need to find a machine shop to remove the bearings and to press the new ones on. I doubt that you will find a crankcase halves seal but as Madoc1 says something like Mega Grey works fine. Re-assembly is a little frought as the bearings are (or at least should be) an interference fit in the crankcase. I was able to tap it together with a rubber mallet to the extent that the crankcase bolts just caught and then wind it all together using a criss cross pattern.
My final piece of advice, from bitter, bitter experience, is not to be tempted to clean the crankcase halves in the dishwasher. It does a rotten job and leaves you with a nasty oily residue in the dishwasher and a seriously pissed wife.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #34
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

"My final piece of advice, from bitter, bitter experience, is not to be tempted to clean the crankcase halves in the dishwasher. It does a rotten job and leaves you with a nasty oily residue in the dishwasher and a seriously pissed wife.
Dave"

That is another one for the "Funny s^%T Dave Box Has Said" Collection. Between ripping off your own genitals, and pissing off your wife, how did you find enough time to complete your rebuild, Dave?

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #35
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave, you definately have a way with words. You put so much reality to the action. We've all been there & learn, hopefully, from others mistakes. Not that we don't make our own! Thanks for all the help ypu give & if it matters, "I" appreciate your humor!
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #36
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Guys, long ago I realized that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning for others.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #37
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: Rebuilt my 87 EZGO Engine, still having issues, please help!!!

My new carb came in today. I am surprised in the difference of the port size between my new and old carb. The elbow that the carb mounts to on the engine has a larger hole than that of my carb. Is this gonna work right for me? Below are some comparison pics of the old and new carb.

I don't think my linkage is going to hook up right. The old carb's choke linkage sticks out of the top of the carb and the new one's choke linkage comes out the side towards the rear of the cart. How am I going to hook this up?

The fuel bowl of the new carb is half the size of the old.

What is the pink hose for? Where does it attach to?

I ordered new crank bearings today and will split the case after they come in.

Here are the pics:

Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #38
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That does NOT look right!!

Someone will be along shortly! The pink hose it the bowl overflow/vent. If you ever see gas coming out of it, you know you are having a needle valve/float issue!
Good luck!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #39
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Nice pictures but everything is good. The inlet manifold is a universal one size fits all thing. The throat of you new carburetor is supposed to be smaller than the opening in the elbow, just use the new gasket that came with the carburetor and bolt it up. On the air side, by now you will have removed the housing from the old carb and bolted that to the new one. As Jon says that pink pipe is the breather for the float chamber. It connects to nothing. In the bracket for the throttle cable there is a spare hole and you can just tuck the pipe in there to make it look neat. The choke cable should be routed between the engine and the carb and then looped back, it does work. If it does not reach then it may have been cut too short to accomodate the rogue carb you had fitted . If this is the case you can purchase a generic choke cable from Autozone for about $5, this is what I had to do as mine was rusted solid. If you need a picture let me know and I will snap one tomorrow and post it. Rest assured a new BV 18 is a great investment.
Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 02-07-2011 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: typing under the influence
Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #40
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Dave, If the suds have settled, I sure would appreciate a picture of how you ran your choke-cable. Thanks again for all the help!

Tags
87 ezgo, engine rebuild, low power, performance, won't run
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO