lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
KevinCai
Not Yet Wild

Default E-Z GO Has Trouble to Start Randomly and Now It Will Not Start

My E-Z GO Medalist (14M96) previously randomly have problem to start, and now it will not start. The battery is OK (36-40 volts), and I can hear the click of the solenoid when I try to start the cart.

Previously, I could just push or rock the cart for a while and get it started. One day I could smell a little bit burning white driving, and thereafter everything seems to be back to normal and I was able to drive the cart back to garage. After charging overnight (the charging was normal), I could not restart it anymore.

It looks like it starts with some lose connection. Does anyone have similar experience.

I'd appreciate it very much for your help. Kevin
KevinCai is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: E-Z GO Has Trouble to Start Randomly and Now It Will Not Start

Welcome to the forum KevinCai...............

Tighten the battery cables on each battery.

Or......
Wiggle the F/R switch while pressing the pedal a little. If the cart jumps or tries to move, your F/R switch is bad. take it apart and clean up the buss bars if they are not burned up. You can even flip them over and use the unused back side.

Or......
Check the wiring under the cart to make sure there isn't one hanging down.

Will it move in reverse?
Do you hear the reverse buzzer when in reverse?
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
cartworldinc
Not Yet Wild

I would check everything Rusty suggested. If this does not solve the problem it could be that the brushes in your motor are worn out. The starter on a gas cart can do the same thing when the brushes are worn. Mash the gas nothing happens but reach down and turn the clutch and presto it starts. If you do find this to be the problem the brushes are relatively easy to replace and not expensive.
cartworldinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
KevinCai
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much for your help, Rusty and cartworldinc.

I have cleaned and tightened all the battery cables. Wiggling the F/R switch did not help. There is no wire hanging down. The reverse buzzer is working. However, the buzzer tune changes from normal to high pitch. This tune change happened only recently. Sometime, when I flip the F/R switch, the buzzer may still go to the normal sound, but usually goes to high pitch when switch it all the way to Reverse.

Regarding motor brushes, how can I check it. I am not handy in the E&E stuff, only some very basic stuff. It does sounds like that I have a bad brush. If I raise the back and rotate the wheel, will that help me get a good contact and therefore get the motor moving again.

Thank you so much.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
KevinCai
Not Yet Wild

I rotated the wheel, and apparently it did not change anything. Also, I bypassed the Reed switch as some post suggested, the cart is still not moving. I wiggled the micro switch, that did not do anything either.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
KevinCai
Not Yet Wild

The problem turned out to be a lose connection at one of the wire connecting to the F/R switch. The connection appears to be tight, but has poor contact.

I agree with many of you, if a problem is sporadical, then almost 99% is some lose connection regardless of any other symptoms. Don't be deceived by a tight connection. If the metal surface is oxidized or corroded, the contact may be very poor to give you problem.

Thanks again, Rusty and Cartworldinc. I appreaciate it very much for your help. I am very happy that my cart is moving again, and it did not cost me anything.

Kevin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO