lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
hd72m
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 2 stroke fuel pump removal

Around a 95 model it runs out of gas and you can take gas line out of tank and pour gas in it and it will start rite up till gas is run out.
Plenty of gas put in new filter,compression is 100 PSI on what I think is a dry cylinder.
Read 2 different times on another less used forum that you have to pull motor to change fuel pump?
It sure looks like with carb off there is only 2 bolts or nuts I cannot remember.
Am I missing anything why it cannot be taking off with motor still in?
The vent on top of tank is just a nipple with no line on it,would this cause any trouble?
Gas line goes threw a single rubber grommet into tank?
Thank you
hd72m is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 2 stroke fuel pump removal

I believe that I read somewhere that there is another fuel filter on the inside of the tank. I think you unscrew the fitting on the side of the gas tank down at the bottom where the fuel line connects to the tank. This filter may be clogged with sediment. If you have an inline filter you can do away with the one in the tank if you want.

I have an 83 G1 and I took the fuel pump off and took it apart and cleaned it. I think the article you read was talking about the oil pump. Anyway I would try disconnecting the fuel line coming into the carb and plug it with a bolt temporarily. Run a new hose from the carb to a small funnel that you hang from the body so the gas will gravity feed to the carb. Put some gas in the funnel and see if it runs. If it does then you know the problem is in the fuel line or pump. Next take the bolt out of the original fuel line and make sure it is hooked up to the tank and start it for just a few seconds then turn it off.

That should be long enough to see if the pump is pumping gas out of the line. If yes reconnect the line to the carb and it should start and go. If not then try disconnecting the fuel line from the pump coming from the tank. Then use the hose and funnel from before but lower the funnel so that it is close to the same height as the carb. Now start it and see if the pump pushes the gas to the carb. If so the problem is in the line from the tank to the pump.

I know this sounds like a lot, but it is just systematically going through the fuel system and it not hard to do.

I hope this helps
texastom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Sorry I just read your post again and saw that your gas tank is like mine your fuel line goes in at the top so you don't have the side filter I guess. So I would make sure that you are not sucking air from that fitting as it goes into the tank. If the pump is pumping it from the line when you fill it then it must be at the tank.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
hd72m
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.
Yes only filter is behind heat shield in the area of the bottom of the tank,outside the tank. Next to the gas line is a vent nipple that at one time had a hose on it but I know it has been running good at least a yr without anything on it so that tells me there is not pressure built up needed in tank.
Have not checked line from crankcase to fuel pump as I was thinking motor got suction from carb,I was wrong.
Want to make sure you are saying fuel pump can be taking off with motor in cart?
My problem is my dad passed in nov and my back is shot and I cannot bend over so have to use guy who lives close to ma and he has not worked on much stuff and once he says ooops it is too late.
It sure looks like just 2 nuts and pump will come off.
If line from motor is not clogged I was thinking either fuel pump is dirty or weak and that is why it will not pull gas from tank?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I replaced the line inside the tank on mine, it was suckin air. Also took the vent out & cleaned it, May be something to check.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
hd72m
Not Yet Wild

Ok Thank you.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
texastom1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So is it fixed?

If not I would check and clean the fuel pump. If you look close you will see that the fuel pump is just bolted to the outside of the motor and is only connected by three hoses. 1 to the carb, 1 to the gas tank, and one to the block or crank case. There are 2 bolts that hold it on. I had to take the carb off to get to the pump but my hands are kind of big and I have fat fingers so I need a little more room. Let alone my arthritis doesn't help.
I would take the fuel pump off and being very careful to take note of which direction each part is facing so you can be sure to get it back together the same way. I always take pictures before during and after each job I do so I have a way to go back and check, especially if it might be a day or so before I can finish up. Anyway make sure that the diaphragm is not torn or cracked then clean well. After you get it back together apply suction and pressure in a small amount to the center hose connection and see if you get a popping sound this means the diaphragm is working. I just blow into it then suck a little back and forth. How the fuel pump works are that the hose going to the motor is tied into the crank case as the piston goes up and down it creates pressure and vacuum. This quick back and forth moves the diaphragm back and forth which in turn pumps the gas to the carb. So if you don't have any leaks when you apply the pressure and vacuum yourself then it should be working fine. I have found that all it takes is a small amount of gunk or a very small piece of crap to clog up a fuel pump enough for it to malfunction. Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
hd72m
Not Yet Wild

Thank you thank you!
That is what I needed to know is if pump can be taking off without pulling motor which I read on another forum you had to pull motor.
As a member of a RAV4 forum for 8 yrs I know some posters give the wrong info and you cleared it up for me so going to get with mas friend and tell him how do it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha