lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
jessemcmillan10
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo Pds solenoid contoler problem>

I have a 2002 ezgo pds. just bought a new motor and installed. now i got this cart used and they has pushed it home after batteries dying and left in run so it took the motor out. I can get the cart to run by pressing the peddle until micro clicks and turning key off and on until solenoid engages. but when i stop i have to turn key off than on again to run. also no reverse but buzzard works. im thinking controller going out please any help would be great. i have alot of knowledge in txt and older carts but these pds are challenging .
jessemcmillan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Pds solenoid contoler problem>

A TXT is a body style and it came with both Series and Sepex drive systems.

The good news and the bad news is that the PDS controller does everything.
(Activates the solenoid, turns on the regenerative braking, switches direction of current flow in field coils for reverse, sounds the beeper, etc., etc., etc.)

All the external switches and controls do, is tell the controller what to do and if the controller doesn't do what it is being told to do, the controller is bad.

Since the cart was towed home in the Run mode, the controller was most likely taken out along with the motor.

What you are doing by turning the key Off and On is resetting the controller, but there is the possibility that a switch is intermittent. You can check the various switches by unplugging the various jacks on the controller and measuring between the pins that go to the switch contacts.

On the attached schematic, all the pins with the wires highlighted have to have pack voltage on them to tell the controller to activate the solenoid.

BTW: With an Alltrax DCX400 (or larger) controller, an otherwise stock PDS cart will run in the low to mid 20's with a 36V battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
jessemcmillan10
Not Yet Wild

With the key off i power suplied to the solenoid small terminals. As soon as i turn key on i lose the power. I thought it would only have power once i press pedal and controller sent the power.. also when checking the connections do i need to have cart on key and in foward and pedal pressed. One more thing to add it works in revers on jacks but not under load thanks..
Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Unless the Run/Tow switch is in the Tow position, the controller can and will energize the solenoid when it feels like it.

When the charger is disconnected for the cart, the Run/Tow is in Run, the F/R switch is in either F or R and the keyswitch is turned ON, the driver tells the controller he/she wants the controller to energize the solenoid when he/she presses the throttle pedal far enough to close the pedal switch contacts. When the driver pushes the pedal further, the ITS (Inductive Throttle System) send a signal to the controller telling it to increase the duty cycle of the MOSFETs. allowing the motor to draw amps and start turning. If the controller then get the proper signal from the motor speed sensor, it will allow the duty cycle to increase past a point that propels the cart over 2MPH on stock height tires.

When the Run/Tow is in RUN and the controller receives a pulse train from the motor speed sensor telling it that the motor is spinning when the key is OFF, and/or the F/R selector is in Neutral, and/or the pedal is not pushed, the controller will energize the solenoid and turn on regenerative braking at its highest level in an attempt to keep cart sped below 2.5MPH.

When the cart is being driven and the driver lifts his/her foot off the pedal, the controller will energize the solenoid and turn on the regenerative braking at the level determined by the PDS mode the controller is in. (Steep and mild hill modes have strong and mild regen braking respectively. Freedom and All Terrain- aka Golf - modes do not have regen braking)

When the cart attempts to coast downhill faster the the max speed limit for the PDS mode it is in, the controller will energize the solenoid and use varying levels of regen braking to limit the cart to the max speed for the mode it is in.

If the driver attempts to drive the cart downhill faster the the max speed for the mode it is is, the controller applies regen braking, but does not have to energize the solenoid since it is already energized.

--------
Since towing the cart home with the Run/Tow switch in RUN position, the controller turned on the regen braking at its maximum level and if enough heat was generated to take out the motor, the possibility the controller survived the abuse is almost nil and from the way the controller is acting, it did not survive.

BTW: With an Alltrax DCX400 controller, that cart will travel in the low to mid 20's on stock height tires at 36V.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
jessemcmillan10
Not Yet Wild

So the solenoid should not have power if key is off and in neuatral and no accel.? Refering to the small terminals?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemcmillan10 View Post
So the solenoid should not have power if key is off and in neuatral and no accel.? Refering to the small terminals?
Not wrong, but not entirely true either.
The controller supplies both B+ and B- to the solenoid coil and controls when they are applied.

Turning the key on just tells the controller to supply B+ to one of the small terminals when the direction selector is in F or R. Pushing the pedal then tells the controller the driver wants it to apply B- to the other small terminal.

However, just turning the key OFF, and/or putting F/R in Neutral, and/or the pedal not depressed, does not prevent the controller from applying B+ to one small terminal and/or B- to the other small terminal.

A PDS controller controls everything electrical in the drive system and is semi-autonomous.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Doesn't it go into run-away mode when it's moving even when the key is off? One of my friends' cart does this. If you don't engage the parking brake and it starts rolling, even with key off, it starts beeping and applies regen to slow it down.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Doesn't it go into run-away mode when it's moving even when the key is off? One of my friends' cart does this. If you don't engage the parking brake and it starts rolling, even with key off, it starts beeping and applies regen to slow it down.
Yes, as long as the Run/Tow is in RUN, the "Walkaway Safety" works.

That is why PDS motors and controllers are destroyed when PDS carts are towed without flipping the Run/Tow switch to TOW.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO