lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
papajoe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Turni signal install question(s)

08 TXT - I recently purchased and 8 wire turn signal kit to attach to my steering column. comes with a flasher, 3 prong and a turn signal audible alarm. I also purchased an EZ-GO OEM Turn signal adaptor. Lights are already on the cart.

Couple of questions:

Is the EZ-GO OEM Turn signal adaptor the correct piece for my cart? It is supposed to make wiring easier. It looks like it plugs into a wiring connector. Anyone have experience with this?

Where do you connect your wiring down the steering column through the floor board?

In the diagram there is a brake light switch. Where is and what is that?

It seems in the diagram that the turn signal wiring is connected from the x terminal of the 3 prong flasher through a fuse to the positive terminal and the red wire off the turn signal switch goes to the brake light switch to another postive terminal. Correct?

Where the heck does the audible alarm go.

What battery number should I connect to?
See below - 3 and six are right side as if I was standing behind the cart facing forward.
1 2 3
4 5 6

How do you connect the wires to the 3 prong flasher? bolts and nuts? Where do you mount it and with what type of bracket?

I know these are a lot of questions but I was expecting buggies unlimited to send instructions like they said they had.

Thank you so much for your help! Greatly appreciated!

Last edited by papajoe; 03-27-2010 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: adding more info
papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
papajoe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Turn signal switch install question(s)

Let me ask a simpler question.

Where do I begin this installation?

My first problem is getting the wiring down the steering column through the floor. Suggestions?

I have the wiring diagram but I was sold an EZ-GO OEM turn signal adaptor harnass that is supposed to plug into the exisiting wiring. Is that possible?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Turni signal install question(s)

I began my install by mounting the blinker assembly on the column. Now, if you don't get anything else done, you, at least, look like you have a custom blinker system.

I can get you through the floor like I did. I didn't want to put any new holes in the floor so I ran it down the steering column to the floor, then directly over (under the lip of the glove compartment) and under the cup holders. I think I drilled a hole behind the cup holders to run the wires through.
As far as which batteries to connect to... if you have a volt meter, measure the voltage across from one positive to the next battery neg. If you have 12volts, plus or minus a volt, then those two will work fine. Any two will be fine as long as you have the 12 volts.

For the brake light, you'll need a micro switch (don't know if one came with your kit or not) to attach under the cart so the brake pedal will make and brake the connection activated.

Here is how mine looks without a hold drilled in the floor....

DSC05476.jpg

DSC05474.jpg

I could also paint the connector black to make it less noticable, but that's not really bothering me now.
Hope this helps a little.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

To add just a little more to that, I'm not one of the gurus on this site. I've only had my cart since Aug 09, but when I got the blinker kit, I followed it step by step, and did like you are doing here.... asked questions. Be patient and someone will tell you exactly what you need to know for the install.

Great bunch of guys and gals here.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
papajoe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok great start! So you actually went up behind the cup holders and drilled a hole? I do not have a volt meter. Why is that important to be at 12 volts? Does it depend on the lenght of the run of wires?

Did you have to connect each wire from the switch to the each individual light or did you use an "adaptor" like I mentioned. I am finding it difficult to find all the these different color wires because the light harnass is sealed.

Thank you,Thank you, Thank you for responding! I need the help.

Joe
Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes. You should be able to pop your cup holder out to have access to the compartment that is good for your wiring connections.

You should go buy a volt meter. The blinker system is 12 volts so if you connect it to more you'll blow your inline fuses. If you don't have enough voltage, your blinkers won't work properly. You don't have to buy an expensive meter. You can get an inexpensive digital meter for around 15.00 at Lowe's or Home Depot. It will come in handy many times over over the life and modification of your cart. You'll want to test your batteries with it often so it will be money well spent.

My harness had connectors, if I remember correctly so it was pretty much plug and play. I did have to splice some for the 12v. Always use your battery ground as the ground and not the frame of your cart. That was drilled into my head by these guys, so I'll do the same with you.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
papajoe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you, Is the battery ground the negative terminal? Does it matter which batter I connect the positive or negative to?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
terrellmd
Not Yet Wild

Where is this mysterious plug that apparently is part of the EOM wiring harness. I have read the above and have already done most of the things described EXCEPT locate where in the existing wiring harness the turn signal system plugs into. Is there a dangling 5-6 wires with a plug somewhere buried in the innards, under the drink holder ??? Already popped out the cup holder but does not give much access. I could do a hysterectomy on a mouse easier than work thru this space. I am about just to run dedicated wires to each of the existing factory installed lights. HELP !! Doc
terrellmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
papajoe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have no idea where the heck this plug is. This whole installation is driving me nuts. I have gotten now where
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
terrellmd
Not Yet Wild

I am beginning to think there is no adapter plug on my 99 EZGO TXT, perhaps there is one on later models (maybe someone could address that issue?). (Next plan is try a $20 bill and ask for some info at the local EZGO emporium, maybe even a peek in their manuals)

For 12 volts, you can tap in at the fuse holder under the seat. According to the factory wiring diagram, the RED wire going away from one of the fuses is for the brake light circuit. You could certainly use that point for 12 volts. Black wire is designated the battery(s) minus or "ground". There is a green wire from the second battery (6 + 6 = 12 volts) that feeds the fuse block and all the accessories, horn, lights, etc. There is nothing but 12 volts on my 1999 at the fuse block.

I discovered I do not have a brake light so I am going to install that next. Rather than go thru all the gyrations of putting in a special micro switch or putting in a replacement brake pedal, I bought a switch assembly from an Orlando dealer on eBay that has a 30 second cutout so leaving the parking brake on does not deplete the battery. Yeah, its $50, but the hassle is not worth the squeeze. ...one cure at a time...

Does anyone know if you have to open the wiring harness somewhere to access the cart lights wiring? And, if so, where is an appropriate place to do it? Thanks. Doc
terrellmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO