lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
brktracer
Not Yet Wild

Default 48 volt conversion for a freebie

I've received what I believe to be a 91 EZGO for free!
The batteries are trash and there's a good bit of metal missing that used to hold them in place. Nothing a little welding won't fix!

Since my neighborhood is quite hilly I'm planning to make it a 48 volt. Based on other posts I've read I think I need the following:
8 6V batteries
controller (alltrax axe 4844???)
48v solenoid
48v charger
4 ga. cables with soldered ends
48v charger
F/R switch 48v
resistor and diodes ?

Since I have to buy pretty much everything new are there any better parts I should consider at this point? Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Matt
brktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
mdevere808
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48 volt conversion for a freebie

Hi Matt:
I just saw that your pretty much doing the same thing I am...I want to watch this thread and follow your build while I am doing mine...
Best of luck to you

Marty
mdevere808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
brktracer
Not Yet Wild

Wow! Lots of help here!
I guess I'm on my own.
brktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

O.K. you probably want to look carefully at your battery compartment layout. if you plan on keeping things in the stock locations, you should consider using 6-8volt batteries, otherwise you'll be re-engineering the battery tray or adding 2 batteries somewhere else. If you are going to upgrade all the controls/throttle/FNR switch, then you should buy everything in a kit form so that they all match what you want to do. You can ask and ask in the forums, but in the end it is all on you to make the right choice. I would say that your best resource right now is the telephone: call any of the sponsors here and get their recommendations, then come back and see if anyone else has done what you are doing. Use the Search function and look up things like 36-48 volt conversion. I bet you'll find everything you need without much more effort. The only other advice I can give is don't buy cheap, you will get what you pay for.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
mdevere808
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Matt:

I'm still in the planning stages too, but are you thnking of buying a new motor as well?
I have a 96 DCS and i have been looking at Plumquick and thinking of givving them a call to see if they can set me up with a complete package. "Maybe a new motor...maybe not"
My list is getting pretty expensive and I might just do the conversion now and then do the motor later. But maybe they will be willing to give us both a decent discount since we are both looking for the same things here...I have looked at different packages and PQ seems to offer the most bang for the buck..and I agree that you really do get what you pay for....how are you doing with your plans/build
mdevere808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by brktracer View Post
Wow! Lots of help here!
I guess I'm on my own.
Your only on your own if you want to be--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

If you are going to 48v keep your 36v motor. It have more speed and torque. If you want more, then upgrade the motor later.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO