lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
dv8shun
Not Yet Wild

Default battery substitute?

I would like to put new batteries on my cart while repairing it. Due to cost restrictions I need to use 12 volt batteries, in case I ruin them in the process. I will install 6 v when I have my cart ready for use. Can any one tell me the type to get, as in amps or reserve capacity?
dv8shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
sunking
Gone Wild

Default Re: battery substitute?

Well when you move from a 6 volt battery to a 12 volt battery you are going to sacrifice capacity. For example using Trojan T-1260 5 hour rating of 113 AH, to a T-105 185 AH you are going to loose about 39% capacity.

For th emoney if it were me I would use a US Battery model 12V XC
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Well when you move from a 6 volt battery to a 12 volt battery you are going to sacrifice capacity. For example using Trojan T-1260 5 hour rating of 113 AH, to a T-105 185 AH you are going to loose about 39% capacity.

For th emoney if it were me I would use a US Battery model 12V XC

The problem is this.... most 12v batteries are not TRUE deep cycle batteries and if they are as the one suggested above is it will cost $230 like the one above. 3 would cost $700 just like buying the correct batteries for your cart... unless you can go to a junk yard and get $20 car batteries to test with? You are better off just buying the 6v you will need to run....... in my humble opinion.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
the one suggested above is it will cost $230 like the one above. 3 would cost $700 just like buying the correct batteries for your cart... unless you can go to a junk yard and get $20 car batteries to test with? You are better off just buying the 6v you will need to run....... in my humble opinion.
I tend to agree with you that just buying the 6 volts is the better way to go. You can however do some shopping and find a 4-pack for $639 But you are right the going price is $239.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8shun View Post
I would like to put new batteries on my cart while repairing it. Due to cost restrictions I need to use 12 volt batteries, in case I ruin them in the process. I will install 6 v when I have my cart ready for use. Can any one tell me the type to get, as in amps or reserve capacity?
If you are using good components and the proper wiring diagrams, there is no reason you would "ruin" a set of 6volt batteries. If your motor, controller, F/R switch and throttle are working and wired correctly you should be good to go. IF you are going to use some used 12volts to be able to check you work, I don't see a benefit or detriment unless you are going to do something non stock to your cart.

What types of repairs are you doing?? A little more info will get you a lot more help.
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
OlManRivah
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I suspect you'd have to go to a marine deep cycle battery.
OlManRivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Try a local golf cart dealer and see if he can hook you up with some used batteries with some life left in them. You should be able to get them for $100-$200 depending on condition.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's always interesting how localized pricing is....

12v Trojans around here can be bought for ~$170 each
Used ones I sell for ~$50 - $75 each
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
dv8shun
Not Yet Wild

thanx for all your info. I am on a restricted budget and this is my first cart as well as my first restoration. so as to the correct wiring and functioning parts I am still in the dark. I am smart enough to get a wiring diagram and am in the process of locating the correct service manual for more detailed instructions. If all else fails read the directions. again thanx for the info.
dv8shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO