lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Cart is weak when in reverse

I have a 97 EZ GO. When the cart is in reverse it is very weak and very slow. I could not get up a small ramp in reverse and even on level ground it is weak and slow. I still am not satisfied while going forward either. I have not had time to put the GPS to it, but I swear a kid could ran faster than my cart. I just bought Trojan t-105's, I have an alltrax 4484 400 amp controller and upgraded to 4 gauge cables. What can cause this. Do all of these components including the motor either work or don't work? or can something go bad and slowly get worse? Let me know what else I can provide to help diagnose the problem. Thanks
cinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart is weak when in reverse

Sounds like you could have a bad battery (yes, even new batteries can go bad...). What is your pack voltage at rest? What is your pack voltage while going forward? Going reverse?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I know that after a full charge it reads about 38.2 volts. I just checked them now and it reads 37.5 volts and all battery's read 6.26 volts. I have driven it a few times since last charge. I will have to try it when driving. What do I do just connect voltage meter to battery while moving? Can the motor be weak? or not a common problem.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Motors don't usually get "weak".... They usually just go or fail to go. as for hooking up to the batteries, I use alligator clips on my test leads and just hook to the main pos and neg to test the voltage while under load (driving)
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've recently have had the same problem with my cart. I converted to 48 volts, added an Alltrax AXE 500, 4 ga. cables, HD solenoid & FNR. I noticed the slow reverse about the time I changed the power setting on the controller to 80%, but I'm not sure that's when it started. I have the 1/2 speed revese activated, maybe that is my problem. No problem in forward.
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I got a chance to get some readings while riding. When I started the day after a full charge the pack was reading 38.2 volts, after a 2 mile ride on a slight grade it was reading 37.5 volts. When I hit the accelerator going forward the pack reads 35.3 when I first hit the pedal then it holds around 36.3-36.1 volts while driving. When in reverse it reads about 36.5 volts and holds. Does this help diagnose anything. Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on. Do the voltage readings that I posted above look good? Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok it's not a battery failure.....

Next test..... a little trickier this time.

Clip the red lead to the M- on the controller and the black lead to the B- on the controller. Take the cart for a ride in both forward and reverse. take readings of full pedal down in both forward and reverse and post results please.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
ok it's not a battery failure.....

Clip the red lead to the M- on the controller and the black lead to the B- on the controller.
I did the above test and got the following reading:

B4 start it read 35.7 volts sitting. When I hit the accelerator in forward it read 1.3 volts than leveled out to around 4.0 volts. When in reverse it read 20.1 volts and held when pressing the accelerator. I also noticed it read 6.0 volts when I went up my driveway which has a light incline. Thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Well.....wabbit ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO