lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
tractorbill
Not Yet Wild

Default steering box

does anyone know where I can get a steering box for a 2001 ez go electric cart? I bought one from Redhawk and the stub shaft is to small and the mounting holes don't line up.I need OEM one. thanks, Bill
tractorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: steering box

Check with site sponsor, Mikesmotortoys. He has a direct OEM store link on his site. May as well buy something like that from EZ-Go themselves. BTW, is your steering box on the axle or up in the cowling? 2001 was a changeover year.....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
tractorbill
Not Yet Wild

its on the axle. aparently there is two types in 2001, early and late both mount to the axle. thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorbill View Post
its on the axle. aparently there is two types in 2001, early and late both mount to the axle. thanks
Wrong. Early 2001 steering boxes mount to the chassis up under the cowl, 2001.5 steering boxes mount on the axle.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I have seen a few where the mounting doesn't lne up. I just drill the hole thats needed. The racks have been redesigned a few times since the earlier are weak and tend to break.

I have yet to see a OEM or aftermarket one stub shaft not fit.

Gorno is right. early 01 had the steering mounted to the cowl and the later ones had a rack and pinion system mounted on the frt axle
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
tractorbill
Not Yet Wild

I talked directly to EZ GO tech this morning He said there are two designs that go on the axle for 2001.The tierod taper is smaller on one than the other.The stub shaft is also a different diamater. I ordered the correct one from them.It appears the aftermarket is not aware of these small changes. I did drill a new hole to mount it, but could not get the collar on the steering shaft to tighten up.thanks guys
Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I worked for E-Z-GO throughout the changeover. There were 2 different axle mounted steering boxes, but they weren't in the same year. There was the 2001.5 and the 2002. The only difference between them was the design of the cast housing. in 2002 they moved the rear mounting bolt because of strength issues in the earlier design.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO