lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
JThw8
Not Yet Wild

Default 1960s Club Car assistance needed

Greetings one and all. I recently came into possession of an early 60s Club Car 3 wheel golf cart.

"ran when parked" we'll see how it goes after the batteries are charged up.

Overall it's in pretty sad shape though. I'm hoping to find someone who knows a thing or 2 about these or maybe some old manuals/wiring diagrams. Running or not I'd like to get a better idea of how this thing is supposed to function.

For instance, there is a single pedal, but a top (appears to be the go) and a bottom (hopefully for stop) it is connected to a single rod which runs back to what appears to be a controller on the motor. How does braking action occur? This would seem too old to have anything like regen braking or the such.

Any info at all would be appreciated. Here are the few pics I have (I told you it was in sad shape) I'll try to get better ones with more detail soon.

Oops, apparently I cannot post photos yet. I have attached them instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (37.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.jpg (109.0 KB, 0 views)
JThw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1960s Club Car assistance needed

thats a gas cart right? post this in club car gas forum.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
JThw8
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
thats a gas cart right? post this in club car gas forum.................................
Nope, it's electric.

I charged the batteries tonite and it runs! Accelerator control seems more on/off than gradual but it runs. Going to let the batteries get a full charge overnight before I dig in too much further.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

ok from pics i only saw part of 1 battery thats why i thought it might be gas.......can you post a pic of batteries and solenoid or solenoids......how many solenoids are there?........and as far as i know a cart that old would not have a controller it would be some sort of resistor setup..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
JThw8
Not Yet Wild

This is where it gets odd and I will get some better photos and draw a diagram tonight, there are no solenoids, that long coil on top of the motor/transaxle in the 2nd pic seems to be a resistor. The throttle lever goes into something on the side of the transaxle and the power is being controlled there although I'm not quite certain how.

It uses 3 12v deep cycle batteries and appears to have been designed as such not a conversion. (the frame seems to be designed to hold 3 batteries)

Im sorry I cant post links yet but if you go to vintagegolfcarparts dot com and click the club car link there are patent drawings for the exact cart on that page. They aren't very detailed for some of the specifics but they might give a better idea of what is there.

I'll follow up with better photos tonight.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow! Very Cool! The coil is definitely a resistor. It's very hard to tell from your photos as to what connects to what. That perforated channel the resistor is mounted on is a rig! I would change that as soon as you can. It may short out the resistor! Somewhere there has to be a wiper board to connect to various points along the resistor. That is what gives you speed control! Back then there may just have been two speeds. The first through the resistor and the second directly to the motor. This is just a guess on my part based on what I can see in the photo. Looks like you have something to work on as it doesn't look that bad to me!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
JThw8
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Wow! Very Cool! The coil is definitely a resistor. It's very hard to tell from your photos as to what connects to what. That perforated channel the resistor is mounted on is a rig! I would change that as soon as you can. It may short out the resistor! Somewhere there has to be a wiper board to connect to various points along the resistor. That is what gives you speed control! Back then there may just have been two speeds. The first through the resistor and the second directly to the motor. This is just a guess on my part based on what I can see in the photo. Looks like you have something to work on as it doesn't look that bad to me!
I think your assumption is correct, wiper board would be a good description, I think, of where the throttle linkage connects to the transaxle. The round object it connects to has 3 wires on it, one going to the motor, one to the resistor and the other from the batteries (I think, I will confirm tonite) and then there are 3 or 4 wires connected to the motor as well.

The resistor coil itself is in bad shape, the coil is broken in a spot or 2 and there appears to be another place to make another connection on it but there is nothing hooked up. I havent seen any other resistor coils like this so I'm wondering if it can be replaced with a more standard coil and exactly how that should be done. It would be easier with wiring diagrams I'm sure :)

I will do my best to get good photos and diagram the connections.

I really appreciate all the input so far.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
JThw8
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Looks like you have something to work on as it doesn't look that bad to me!
Oh, as far as the doesnt look bad....the whole engine cradle connects to the frame on a pivot...the bushings are completely gone so its a 1/2 inch bolt in a 1 inch hole just slopping around. The aluminum frame is cracked in at least 4 places that I've found and the body is pretty mangled. But I weld and I do fiberglass work and it runs so I cant complain too much.

Yes, it was cheap.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
JThw8
Not Yet Wild

Ok, photos and a crude wiring diagram. As best as I can tell the resistor is not actually hooked up since there is a line in (from the wiper/throttle) but no line out. I also only have one speed and that's at full pedal.

The motor is a GE...most of the tag is gone but what I can tell is its a 2400rpm and I *think* it says 140amp, does that sound like about the right amperage? I have an EE friend who is trying to help figure out some things and he'd like to know the motor amperage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring.jpg (59.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg top connections.JPG (595.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg bottom connector.JPG (529.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg resistor.JPG (575.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg throttle.JPG (516.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
JThw8
Not Yet Wild

a few more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batteries.JPG (466.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg switch1.JPG (570.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg switch2.JPG (474.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car