lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
golfingff
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with wiring new batteries

Hello, brand new to the forum/golf cart ownership. Just bought a 2000 club car (believe it is a DS model?) Anyway, didn't have any batteries in it when I got it so I went and bought 6 new US Batteries. Wiring looks pretty self explanatory in the diagrams but I wasn't sure about a couple of them. I see that there is a red wire on one side and a black on the opposite side (which I assume is for positive and negative). Connecting the batteries according to wiring diagram looks fairly self explanatory but there is two red wires besides these two main ones that I wasn't sure where to connect? One comes off of the charging port/receptacle and the other comes off a small rectangular box that is approx 4" x 1" with three 20amp fuses inside it (looks as though the wires go towards the front) to possibly headlights? Anyway, I assumed that these two would probably be connected into the positive terminals somewhere in the equation but wasn't sure which one or if it even mattered or not? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
golfingff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help with wiring new batteries

The one from the charge port goes to the main + (rear battery under passengers seat).
The other one going to the fuse block is 12v+. It goes to the 2nd + terminal away from the main -, check this with your test meter, you should read 12v between the 2nd + and the main neg. also test your pack total when you get all the batteries strung together, this can save a lot of trouble.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Dhenryjr
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingff View Post
Hello, brand new to the forum/golf cart ownership. Just bought a 2000 club car (believe it is a DS model?) Anyway, didn't have any batteries in it when I got it so I went and bought 6 new US Batteries. Wiring looks pretty self explanatory in the diagrams but I wasn't sure about a couple of them. I see that there is a red wire on one side and a black on the opposite side (which I assume is for positive and negative). Connecting the batteries according to wiring diagram looks fairly self explanatory but there is two red wires besides these two main ones that I wasn't sure where to connect? One comes off of the charging port/receptacle and the other comes off a small rectangular box that is approx 4" x 1" with three 20amp fuses inside it (looks as though the wires go towards the front) to possibly headlights? Anyway, I assumed that these two would probably be connected into the positive terminals somewhere in the equation but wasn't sure which one or if it even mattered or not? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Welcome to BGW, its a great place to learn
Dhenryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
golfingff
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Help with wiring new batteries

Thanks for the welcome message Dhenryjr! Scottyb- Thanks so much for the reply. I just got this message as I thought that I would get an email when someone responded and I have been a bit busy lately :) Anyway, great info here and you seem to be a great resource for info! I apologize for being really new at all this, but the way I understand it is that the rear battery under passengers seat is considered the main + (I labeled #1) and this would be the connect for the charge port? Then you count 2 more positives away from this main + and this is where the one from the fuse block goes (I labeled #2)?

"It goes to the 2nd + terminal away from the main -, check this with your test meter, you should read 12v between the 2nd + and the main neg. also test your pack total when you get all the batteries strung together, this can save a lot of trouble"

Once again, apologize for newbie status but I need to test with a voltmeter and have one lead on what I labeled #2 on attachment and another on #1 which is main - ? and I should get a 12v reading? How do I then go about testing the total pack when it is installed? I spent a lot of money on these batteries so I don't want to screw anything up! Thanks again for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usbat48v.jpg (14.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . assuming these are 6v batteries, each battery in succession will add 6v to the equation . . measuring voltage between "your" #1 and "your" #2 (as indicated on your drawing) will add up to 18v . . . 12v will be measured between the first two batteries in the series or any two successive batteries in the series . . . measuring between "your" #1 and "your" #3 (as indicated in your drawing) should show total pack measurement of 36v . . . all measurements are taken between a negative terminal of one battery and a positive terminal of another battery . . hope this helps . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You set your preference when you create your account as to whether you get email notifications or not . You can change it at any time...
We do need to know if these are 6 v batteries or 8v batteries. Either way the long red cable goes to the main + (1).
Please confirm the shape of your charger receptacle = round or square.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
golfingff
Not Yet Wild

Round charging receptacle and they are 8v batteries. Thanks again to all that have helped out here! Great resource!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
golfingff
Not Yet Wild

While I am at it here. Wondering if there was any special considerations/ routine when installing brand new batteries in your cart? I spent good $ on them and I want to make sure I don't miss any steps!
Old 08-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingff View Post
While I am at it here. Wondering if there was any special considerations/ routine when installing brand new batteries in your cart? I spent good $ on them and I want to make sure I don't miss any steps!
Proper battery break in and maintenance is crucial to the life or your batteries. Print this out and hang it on the wall....

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
golfingff
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much. I will most definitely take your advice here Erict!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car