lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
plouie
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 91 club car extra soleniod

Coming in late to this thread (just joined the forum, actually) but here goes. I have an 83 ClubCar 36V, still with the original solenoid/resistor drive so I'm familiar with the setup. It has a series motor and the only OEM reason for the field terminals is to reverse direction. If the example is a series-wound motor, it's possible that someone installed this to shunt out the field and do a primitive sort of "field weakening." My father-in-law (an EE) years ago had a production cart of some sort in Sun City with field weakening which he said allowed higher speed once at speed and startup or subsequent torque was no longer needed. He also emphasized that it should never be used when much torque was needed as it would burn out the motor. I'm guessing that would be from too much armature current. That actually happened to his cart when one of his grandchildren was driving it, and after replacing the motor he insisted on always being in the passenger seat with his hand on the field weakening switch! Unfortunately, Grampa and the cart are long gone, so I can't do more than this anecdotal statement.

Offhand, I can't think of any other reason for this setup. Best not to let the untrained drive it without a full understanding. Grandchildren mean death to toilets and computers, and maybe this is one more thing to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
I have actually installed this button before...its called a shunt button and is used to isolate juice in the motor and give you a temporary boost...Its a little tougher on the motor but I install them on upgraded units and haven't had one come back with problems yet...all you need is a horn button and an extra solenoid...And it def works for a min or so
plouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car