lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 ds charger issue

This is a copy and paste from David who is a club car technician. Someone else asked the same question for there 07 DS and this is his response.

The procedure you used to bypass to OBC does nothing but force the relay to click. It doesn't make the OBC close the internal connection and begin to charge. Especially on a 2007 DS. This was possible on the old cream color OBCs but the new grey ones won't allow it. The proper way to bypass the OBC to make the car run is to unplug the 6 pin connector and jump the red to the blue wire.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

Im not sure if it was the correct way truthfully, if was info that i found off this site. Read legitimate, i just dont wanna spend 300.bux and that not be it is all. I did the 6 pin connector bypass. Got the same thing, charger clicked and that was it, no needle movement at all.
birdleg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Try the above test I posted above and make sure you jump the wires on the cart side harness and not at the OBC side.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

It was on the harness side.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . there is also a procedure of jumping the relay in the charger to force it to charge, bypassing the OBC . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdleg1981 View Post
Shadowman is there anyway to test the obc? I thot by bypassing it with the grey wire being bypassed the charger shud kick on?
Is your OBC grey in color? If so, this won't do anything for you. It'll make it click on but the internal connection inside the obc never closes to allow power to go through it. The only successful way to charge it in this situation is to jump the grey wire, and the black wire in the back of the receptacle both to the B- post. By jumping the black wire you're bypassing the charge circuit in the obc. If this makes it charge it proves your charger works, which you already know. It also proves that the OBC is bad.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

Yea its grey Tahoe. Ill try that procedure soon. Thx all for the help
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdleg1981 View Post
Im not sure if it was the correct way truthfully, if was info that i found off this site. Read legitimate, i just dont wanna spend 300.bux and that not be it is all. I did the 6 pin connector bypass. Got the same thing, charger clicked and that was it, no needle movement at all.
The jumper bypass of the Red and Blue in the 6 pin connector is NOT for charging issues. This is the bypass method used when a person wants to completely eliminate the OBC, or to test the vehicle to see if a bad OBC is keeping the vehicle from running. It has nothing to do with the charging system.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The jumper bypass of the Red and Blue in the 6 pin connector is NOT for charging issues. This is the bypass method used when a person wants to completely eliminate the OBC, or to test the vehicle to see if a bad OBC is keeping the vehicle from running. It has nothing to do with the charging system.
Now I'm confused David. I thought the only job of the OBC was regulating the charge? I also thought that if one has a bad OBC the cart would still run?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Now I'm confused David. I thought the only job of the OBC was regulating the charge? I also thought that if one has a bad OBC the cart would still run?
Nope. An OBC on an IQ car has several functions. It regulates charge, stores charge history data, stores usage data, and works as a switching mechanism for the controller to allow it to power up or power down whenever necessary. For example, it powers the controller down while charging to keep the vehicle from being drivable during a charge cycle. It's a safety feature. This is the feature that fails and keeps the car from running. That's when the jumper bypass is necessary.

Even on older series model cars it did the same tasks, just in a different way. The negative or ground provided to/taken away from the solenoid based on the on-charge status of the vehicle. That's why the old trick of using a jumper wire from yellow on solenoid to B- made the car run. It bypassed the solenoid lockout control.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car