lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Panama
Not Yet Wild

Default Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

I have a 97 -- 48 volt DS cart as best as I can tell.... When I look at the description in the manual it shows disconnecting the red wires off battery #1 and the black wire off battery #6 unless I am misreading something. I have a couple of questions.

Why not take both the neg and pos wires off just battery #1? It has one large black wire on negative and a large red wire and small red wire on positive.

Next-- the cart is in Florida. It will be stored part of the year NOT during the winter. We have a place there and go down during the winter to escape the cold and then return home in the spring and summer. Renting a cart got expensive so we bought a used one...I figure I can charge it up good and disconnect the batteries and leave it until I return if I have good batteries.

Any suggestions or help with what other things I should do would be appreciated. I have never owned a cart before.

Thanks.
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama View Post
I have a 97 -- 48 volt DS cart as best as I can tell.... When I look at the description in the manual it shows disconnecting the red wires off battery #1 and the black wire off battery #6 unless I am misreading something. I have a couple of questions.

Why not take both the neg and pos wires off just battery #1? It has one large black wire on negative and a large red wire and small red wire on positive.

Next-- the cart is in Florida. It will be stored part of the year NOT during the winter. We have a place there and go down during the winter to escape the cold and then return home in the spring and summer. Renting a cart got expensive so we bought a used one...I figure I can charge it up good and disconnect the batteries and leave it until I return if I have good batteries.

Any suggestions or help with what other things I should do would be appreciated. I have never owned a cart before.

Thanks.
You will need to leave a charger connected while you are away. Charging the batteries up and leaving it a state of discharge for a long period will ruin the batteries and give you nothing but battery problems. If you don't want to leave a charger connected all the time maybe you can find someone down there that can plug it in every two weeks and let it charge then disconnect it.

There is no reason to disconnect battery cables during storage.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Leaving the charger pluged in will not do anything it's not a float charger you have to unplug it and plug it back it for it to charge cycle again. You plug it in and it charges once leave for six months it will not come back on unless it's unplugged and pluged back in. They do sell 36 and 48 volt battery maintainers that are float chargers.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Leaving the charger pluged in will not do anything it's not a float charger you have to unplug it and plug it back it for it to charge cycle again. You plug it in and it charges once leave for six months it will not come back on unless it's unplugged and pluged back in. They do sell 36 and 48 volt battery maintainers that are float chargers.
The OBC in a late model Club Car such as this will indeed float the pack correctly over long storage periods. I agree the EZ-Go's and Yamaha's do not function this way. As for the cables, make sure any corrosion has been neutralized and leave them connected. If the cart has a Run/Tow switch, move it to Tow. If there is a stereo with a "keep alive" wire involved, this wire should be disconnected. Also make sure the cells have proper water levels before heading north.

The best method is to have a neighbor drive it for 15 minutes or so once a month and have him put it on the charger each time.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
camodude1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was going to ask a similar question concerning winter storage, but after reading this, am I orrect in assuming the best thing to do is to ride and then charge the batteries back up on a regular basis during winter months?
camodude1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

I always disconnect my pack for winter storage. I also go connect it and plug it back in once every other month, to recharge. (I would do it every month but scheduling doesn't allow)

One thing to check for. If you have a voltage reducer like mine, it will be wired to draw off of two batteries. Depending on who wired it up, and what wire you disconnect to break your pack's wiring, it is possible to leave that device connected; it will draw those two batteries down until they are totally dead. You'll want to trace the wiring to make sure you disconnect this.

delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by camodude1954 View Post
I was going to ask a similar question concerning winter storage, but after reading this, am I orrect in assuming the best thing to do is to ride and then charge the batteries back up on a regular basis during winter months?
No need to ride, just make sure to charge it every two to three weeks. The batteries will naturally discharge while it's in storage
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can buy a programmable timer to plug the charger in... Set the timer for 24 hours every 14 days and the charger will do the rest..
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

I live in Northern Ohio and just charge battery before storage unhook neg battery cable as charger option is not an option get 6 years out of batteries. They loose about 4% charge a month. Charge before use in spring.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car