lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
Scooter Cushman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by camodude1954 View Post
Says it's good for golf carts, cars, trucks, lifts, boats. Heavy Duty 100 Amp Load Tester. Would using a Hydrometer with the float balls inside help determine the charge of my batteries? I got one of those today and was going to take it down with me this Fri. when we go back to the campground.
Well I like scooty's load test. hook up the meter and head for a hill...lol
Scooter Cushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
camodude1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You would think that yours would work. Sounds like it's bigger than mine, and probably more apt to handle the load test. What do you think about the hydrometer test?
camodude1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #23
camodude1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Amen, brother on the head to the hills
Old 08-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
Scooter Cushman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i haven't used a hydrometer since High school. It will tell you the state of charge.
In my case now I need to verify the load and if it's too low I would buy a 5oo amp load tester. I have solar and ten running carts. I need to recount, I think I have 100 deep cycle batteries right now I would use it all the time.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
camodude1954
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No doubt, you would use it all the time. I guess I'll just settle for the "State of charge" with the Hydrometer until the Scotty Meter gets here, and then I'm gonna head to the hill, bro
Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #26
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I have a 500amp unit from Harbor-Freight,they are also made by Associated,Solar,Mac and Schumaker.If you check with local Tool-Guys like Snap-On,You can score an older VAT-Machine reasonable.I bought one for $300 from Snap-On,the new equivilent is about $2000.The older ones like mine are on a cart,and also have a Amp-Probe to check amp-draw/Charging).
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
Scooter Cushman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good Luck!I hope they work.

I wonder if it would be accurate to count the volts that the battery falls for a 100 amp load then multiply as if 500 amp load to get a voltage. just as a reference
Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #28
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If the battery fails with a 100amp tester,its' definitely shot,But an accurate reading needs proper testing,whether you choose a large Load-Tester,or the Meter-on-Wheels method(running a hill with a VoltMeter).Math-Formulas aren't accurate in this case.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #29
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

An automotive load tester will give you a very rudimentary idea of a golf cart battery's condition. To properly have them tested you need one of these: http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/produc...ge-Tester.html
They are quite expensive so it may pay you to take your cart to a shop to have the batteries tested. It will be a definitive test!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #30
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Thats why I mentioned the Snap-On unit I have at the shop,its' not a cheap hand-held.Its' a High-Current,Good Quality unit made for testing Heavy-Duty batteries and charging-systems on Heavy-Trucks and Equipment.Another alternative is to take them to a place like Interstate-Batteries,and have them tested there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car