lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 01 Club Car 48v DS regen almost moves but doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The early Regen1 cars????? I've honestly never tried. But every time a co-worker of mine attempts it it never ends well. It shoots sparks everywhere and we end up converting to IQ
ok so maybe i can help you guys out a bit......the 96,s to 99,s yes when you jump solenoid it does shoot its share of sparks but its all bark and no bite, once you get past the sparkage its like any other cart, i have jumped 100,s of them and have never had an issue and to be honest the newer carts i see a lot less of them then you do so i,ll use more care with them, i do trust your opinion and yes the old ones also have the pre charge resistor.......this is what i mean about carts they just react so different under the same conditions..thanks for the heads up bud i,ll be calling ya..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
ok so maybe i can help you guys out a bit......the 96,s to 99,s yes when you jump solenoid it does shoot its share of sparks but its all bark and no bite, once you get past the sparkage its like any other cart, i have jumped 100,s of them and have never had an issue and to be honest the newer carts i see a lot less of them then you do so i,ll use more care with them, i do trust your opinion and yes the old ones also have the pre charge resistor.......this is what i mean about carts they just react so different under the same conditions..thanks for the heads up bud i,ll be calling ya..................................
I think we're having some miscommunication here or something.... By Pre-Charge resistor I'm referring to the small resistor found on a solenoid switch that runs from large post to large post. Part number 1014947. I'm not referring to the big coil on the dynamic braking solenoid. I assume you know that, I'm just making sure we're on the same page.... While you had me second guessing myself I looked at a diagram from a Regen1 car in 1996 and it in fact does not have a pre-charge resistor. None of the shunt, sepex, regen (whatever you want to call them) cars from Club Car had a pre-charge resistor until the introduction of the IQ car in 2002. You should get Zero arc when jumping the two large posts on a solenoid that incorporates a pre-charge resistor unless you touch something you're not supposed to touch while jumping it. Just the opposite on cars without one... The capacitors on the controller aren't charged at all times as they would be if they used the Pre-Charge resistor. This sudden burst of "unrequested" power can cause serious damage to the controller. The Regen1 and Regen2 cars if you'll notice, will give a solenoid click to acquire the necessary voltage needed for the walkaway braking feature. The IQ car won't.... because the controller stays charged up at all times.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
I think we're having some miscommunication here or something.... By Pre-Charge resistor I'm referring to the small resistor found on a solenoid switch that runs from large post to large post. Part number 1014947. I'm not referring to the big coil on the dynamic braking solenoid. I assume you know that, I'm just making sure we're on the same page.... While you had me second guessing myself I looked at a diagram from a Regen1 car in 1996 and it in fact does not have a pre-charge resistor. None of the shunt, sepex, regen (whatever you want to call them) cars from Club Car had a pre-charge resistor until the introduction of the IQ car in 2002. You should get Zero arc when jumping the two large posts on a solenoid that incorporates a pre-charge resistor unless you touch something you're not supposed to touch while jumping it. Just the opposite on cars without one... The capacitors on the controller aren't charged at all times as they would be if they used the Pre-Charge resistor. This sudden burst of "unrequested" power can cause serious damage to the controller. The Regen1 and Regen2 cars if you'll notice, will give a solenoid click to acquire the necessary voltage needed for the walkaway braking feature. The IQ car won't.... because the controller stays charged up at all times.
no david were talking about the same resistor on solenoid.......thats why i,m posting this cause i can,t tell you how many i have jumped with this setup and no ill effects...............
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
no david were talking about the same resistor on solenoid.......thats why i,m posting this cause i can,t tell you how many i have jumped with this setup and no ill effects...............
I can't explain why you haven't fried those controllers. Oh well... glad you didnt
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

beleive me buddy i wouldn,t try and bull ya you know that and i would not hesitate to jump the solenoid on one from 96 to 01 but the newer carts you have my attention......i have honestly jumped 100,s of reagan carts over the years like that and would think out of all of them something if it were gonna happen would have.......matter of fact i just jumped a 98 2 weeks ago..............i just don,t know you have me thinking...........................
Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
beleive me buddy i wouldn,t try and bull ya you know that and i would not hesitate to jump the solenoid on one from 96 to 01 but the newer carts you have my attention......i have honestly jumped 100,s of reagan carts over the years like that and would think out of all of them something if it were gonna happen would have.......matter of fact i just jumped a 98 2 weeks ago..............i just don,t know you have me thinking...........................
Lol. I know you wouldn't try and bull me.. You have me laughing though when you say you wouldn't hesitate to jump the 96-01 but on the newer cars I have your attention... Cars newer than 01 are 02-Present and are IQs and can be jumped all day long with no issues. No worries at all on those. The Regen2 System (1998-2001) are the ones I've seen more often than any other system that doesn't respond well to it. Regen1 should be no different because they're wired almost exactly the same, just with different pinouts and a different controller. Thank god I don't see many of those. Just be careful man. Those sparks are big and nasty looking.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Lol. I know you wouldn't try and bull me.. You have me laughing though when you say you wouldn't hesitate to jump the 96-01 but on the newer cars I have your attention... Cars newer than 01 are 02-Present and are IQs and can be jumped all day long with no issues. No worries at all on those. The Regen2 System (1998-2001) are the ones I've seen more often than any other system that doesn't respond well to it. Regen1 should be no different because they're wired almost exactly the same, just with different pinouts and a different controller. Thank god I don't see many of those. Just be careful man. Those sparks are big and nasty looking.
oh i gottya on the sparkage thats the hurdle to get over thats why i said all bark and no bite.............................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car