lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 2003 ds charger issue?

i had a 2003 clubcar ds dropped off. someone attempted to replace with new batteries. the issue was the batteries have already set up and were at 33 volts. i brought them up, plugged in charger and it kicks on, but tripped the fuse up front after a few minutes. so i used another charger and its not tripping the lil breaker, but here is the issue. the charger pegs out like way past 15 amps and the charger gets hot as heck after 5 mins or so, i mean u cant hold ur hand on it. HOT....... its a powerdrive2 48volt charger. any help is appreciated...... WPS
birdleg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 ds charger issue?

I am new at these carts, but it sounds like you may have 6v batteries instead of the 8v batteries it probably should have. My 2003 ds is 48v. 6x8v.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

It has 6x8volt batteries. They were just really low in charge
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdleg1981 View Post
i had a 2003 clubcar ds dropped off. someone attempted to replace with new batteries. the issue was the batteries have already set up and were at 33 volts. i brought them up, plugged in charger and it kicks on, but tripped the fuse up front after a few minutes. so i used another charger and its not tripping the lil breaker, but here is the issue. the charger pegs out like way past 15 amps and the charger gets hot as heck after 5 mins or so, i mean u cant hold ur hand on it. HOT....... its a powerdrive2 48volt charger. any help is appreciated...... WPS
if its pegging needle and getting hot go over all the battery cables make sure they are all hooked pos to neg......as for the other charger thats tripping the breaker its either just a weak breaker or the heatsink/diodes went bad and wouldn,t hurt to replace both.........get the cables figured out even with dead batteries the needle shouldn,t peg and charger get hot............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

shadow im at the shop now, the cart looks like wired properly. the other charger thats tripping the breaker i thot the same thing. im more into why charger getting so freaking hot. any other ideas by chance? the needle like hammers past 15amps on ammeter
Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

what model charger charger? PD-2 or PD-3 i hear the 3 gets really really hot and thats normal but not so for the 2...............................
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

pd2. Im at home now, be at shop tomar. I got the breaker trip fixed. As to the charger being hot i dunno. I let it charge yesterday outside while i was tinkering at work. Was pretty hot and charger had a weird smell. Whether thats related i dunno. Ill hook it up tomar while im at work and let it run for alot longer and see how it goes. I figure the needle is just associated with the batteries being so dead possibly
Old 10-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

thats possible....as for charger and this is just my opinion i have seen hundreds of PD-2,s and they are all different as far as heat...........some get hot some get warm some stay cool......a few have been really hot but they always worked.......myself heat like that bothers me but other then replacing the transformer ( costly ) i,m not sure what you can do other then make sure its ventilated and used in the coolest spot possible........................
Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

update! the cart and charger are working fine now. i fixed the one charger that was tripping the fuse. when plugged in, it now goes to around 15amps and drops till it kicks off as it should. guess it needed a good charge on it, also the charger isnt getting as hot as it first did as well. thx for the help yall
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car