lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
one65r
Not Yet Wild

Default Help- 2005 Precedent. Tow/run switch not isolating electronics.

I just towed my 2005 Precedent about a mile down a paved road cause batteries were running out of juice and I knew I wasn't gonna make it home. I had switched it to tow (triple checked), key off, neutral, and brakes off. I had also just installed a new plum quick purple motor and replaced factory controller (Curtis 250 amp). About the last 100 yards I started to smell that dreaded electrical smell from the rear. I stopped and felt motor and it was pretty hot and had a little smoke coming out of housings. What a crappy feeling. When I stopped, I put in forward, turned key on, pressed accelerator (with tow still on), and the cart rolled forward. Obviously my run/tow switch is faulty. I'm just sick. So, I've had it on a charge and will leave it on there until charger shuts off when its fully charged. It's been on there for 7 hours. Batteries were totally dead.

How long should it take to charge 4 12v batteries with power drive charger that were totally dead. Water level is good on all cells.

If it was running in forward and reverse after motor got really hot so in hoping controller didn't get effected. As long as it runs in forward/reverse, did it survive the tow?

Rear end didn't lock up (thankfully) when motor got really heated so hopefully it's not ruined. How can I tell if it resulted in any long term damage to motor?

Lastly, I'm assuming battery pack, obc/controller were not isolated when I towed it because the tow/run switch was faulty. Any simple fixes for this? Is there any fuse, etc. I could replace/check or do I just need to buy a new switch.

I'm just sick because my bro in law had borrowed it a month ago and didn't switch to tow, towed it almost 3 miles before the motor imploded and locked up the rear end. I had just replaced motor (plum quick purple motor) and controller, charged batteries about 4 1/2 hr and went on a test drive. I'm kicking myself for not being more patient and letting batteries charge overnight!

I'm just trying to figure out how to replace or troubleshoot run/tow switch. Could I have removed main positive and negative hookup on battery pack and that saved excessive juice running to my motor or would I need to unhook controller wiring harness also.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer. Sincerely, Sam
one65r is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Tags
tow run faulty switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car