lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Buick6472
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage reducer wired thru battery or switch?

Should a voltage reducer be wired directly to the batteries or run thru a switch somehow. Does a reducer only have a draw on batteries when an accessory is turned on and juice is pulled thru it? The reducer has only two wires going in to reducer and two wires coming out of reducer, if that helps. When I bought this cart earlier this year this is how it was wired. I just fixed a short in the wiring so the lights work now and concerned of draining new batteries. There's an inline fuse only on the output of the reducer where it goes to headlights. Headlights and tail light is all I'm running as of now. 2000 cc ds. Thanks.
Buick6472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer wired thru battery or switch?

You can wire it either way. I have mine through the switch. I was told the draw is so minimal unless accessories are on that it doesn't matter.
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

FWIW: I measured the input to my voltage reducer with no loads on the output, and it draws a bit over 1/3 amp, IIRC. That's more pull than I want on my batteries, so I switch the input 'off' using a push/pull switch.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No matter how you connect it make sure to fuse both the input and output sides!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Buick6472
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. I will install an inline fuse from batt to reducer. So does the ignition switch have enough guts to act as an on/off switch for the reducer? Or should I install another switch like the push/pull one that was described?
Buick6472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you have a 4 wire voltage reducer one of those wires (control wire) will be wired to your key switch to turn the reducer on and off. If you only have a 3 wire reducer without a control wire you will need to either use a separate switch capable of handling all the current passed through the reducer or use a relay controlled by your key switch.

I don't know the current rating of a golf cart key switch so I cannot recommend you run your reducer completely through the switch. For example if you bought a 20 amp reducer then you have the possibility of running 20 amps through a key switch which would probably be a bad idea. I know you're not intending on using all the current available with just a light kit but lights use more then you think sometimes.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
don't know the current rating of a golf cart key switch so I cannot recommend you run your reducer completely through the switch. For example if you bought a 20 amp reducer then you have the possibility of running 20 amps through a key switch which would probably be a bad idea. I know you're not intending on using all the current available with just a light kit but lights use more then you think sometimes.
I've not actually measured mine, but I'd suspect that the input current would be proportional to the output current of the voltage reducer, at least it would on mine. My "voltage reducer" is actually a DC -> DC converter, so the input current would be 1/3 of the output load. So, a 24 amp load would cause only about 8 amps of draw from the batteries.

The other "voltage reducers" might work differently...
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car