lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 AM   #21
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Back-up Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Are there any concerns on soldering a diode onto those two wires (possible heat damage to the diode)?
Not if your soldering technique is OK. Use a soldering iron meant for electronics (usually a small tip) instead of a monstrous mains powered iron and use self-fluxing ribbon solder (looks like a thin wire). It is best to make a mechanical connection first by wrapping the diode pigtail around the wire then just use the solder to hold it together. Don't be scared to put enough heat in though (so that the solder runs when applied to the wire rather than applied to the iron) otherwise you risk a "dry" joint which won't conduct the electricity properly.

It's easy enough with a little practice so don't be afraid to give it a go.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #22
LouisC
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisC View Post
Sergio, Is that a resistor between the +positive and the - negative wires ?
Sergio; From the example you showed - what size wire is coming from the buzzer to the relay? and from this example - no wires go to a 48v to 12v reducer? The relay takes care of a that?
LouisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Think of the relay as just an ON/OFF toggle switch, You still need a source for the +12v power.

The wires to the relay coil are just 18ga, that particular relay only requires 0.02 amps.

This is the thread I originally posted that sketch, it has more detailed information:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1205141

Anyone soldering electronic components should have accessories like locking tweezers or hemostats that You would clamp on the diode lead next to the diode body to dissipate the heat.

It also helps if you have an electronic temperature controlled soldering iron and "helping hands" type devices to aid in the process.

You can always just crimp the diode lead with the wire in each of the 3/16" quick terminals if you don't have much experience soldering.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #24
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Here is a good video on how to solder a diode or resistor into a wire resulting in a low stress connection ... pretty much what Sergio explained but in video format! Thanks Sergio for your explanation (and patience with us new guys).

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video...iode-to-a-wire
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #25
LouisC
Getting Wild

I have a question regarding the negative wire from the lights...I heard you shouldn't ground these wires to the frame. Where should I go with this wire? I have (6) 8v batteries and this is a 12v light...does that make any difference?
Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #26
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

We're is your 12 v positive coming from.?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #27
LouisC
Getting Wild

I was thinking of getting the positive from my Volt-2000 Redhawk reducer.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #28
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
I was thinking of getting the positive from my Volt-2000 Redhawk reducer.
O K. You can hook the negative wire to your tail light negative, or you can hook to negative block on cart mine is near the solenoid. Or battery pack negative.
Like you said NOT to the frame.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #29
LouisC
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
O K. You can hook the negative wire to your tail light negative, or you can hook to negative block on cart mine is near the solenoid. Or battery pack negative.
Like you said NOT to the frame.
I get so confused when I talk about electricity and 48v and 12v and 6 batteries and relays.... I thought I was getting it when Sergio posted the diagram of the wires from the 48v buzzer to the relay with a diode in between the wires... then 12v positive from power (I thought my reducer) out to the positive of the 12v back up light.... but now I have the negative wire from the 12v light left to put somewhere and you tell me "Negative Block" or "Battery Pack Negative" which tells me I am just more confused. I don't know what a negative block is..
And when you say battery pack negative are you talking about #6 battery 48v negative....I tell you I'm stupid when it comes to electricity.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #30
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I get so confused when I talk about electricity and 48v and 12v and 6 batteries and relays.... I thought I was getting it when Sergio posted the diagram of the wires from the 48v buzzer to the relay with a diode in between the wires... then 12v positive from power (I thought my reducer) out to the positive of the 12v back up light.... but now I have the negative wire from the 12v light left to put somewhere and you tell me "Negative Block" or "Battery Pack Negative" which tells me I am just more confused. I don't know what a negative block is..
And when you say battery pack negative are you talking about #6 battery 48v negative....I tell you I'm stupid when it comes to electricity.
The ground wire from the light can be grounded to the Battery 1 negative terminal that leads to your controller / B-. You could also ground it back to the negative on your voltage reducer. You could also ground it to the negative terminals on your fuse block if you have installed a fuse block. You could even tap into the negative wires on your brake lights and ground into that wire (though not what I would do). Hope that Clears it up.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car