lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #21
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Has my speed sensor been discontinued??

IMG_20160605_151444896.jpg

IMG_20160605_143900729.jpg

IMG_20160605_143924469.jpg
Jayts508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #22
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I don't k ow how to tell the age of the batteries. The other pic is of inside the access panel if anyone sees anything that's been "modified"
Old 06-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #23
Wynelocked
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm pretty lost when it comes to these things.I'm 69 yrs old...worked on cars my whole life.Retired in that business.I had every code reader known to man....I never guessed what the problem is.

In my opinion...soon golf cart will go to that technology....making repairs higher...but correct...

Except fpr Scottyb...he'll still fok it up
Wynelocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #24
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Having a diagnostic port on my cart sure would make life easier but until then I'm stuck chasing problems and hoping people out there know a lot more than me
Old 06-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #25
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Post a photo of the battery showing the battery post area.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #26
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK - we're leaning towards batteries being on their way out.
Quote:
they all read about 8.2
If we multiply x 6 that means a resting (not fresh off charge) pack voltage of roughly 49.2 - about 65% - 68% charged. Not particularly good.
Quote:
3 of them dropped down to 7.2, 1 of them dropped to 7and 2 of them dropped to 7.9
That suggests a pack getting out-of-balance (probably due to batteries aging at different rates - or batteries that are not the same age....probably the former).
Quote:
the ones that link the batteries together were a little warm
they should all be the same temp - cool. If warm. the wires are probably not really doing their job. Did you remember to measure and record each wire length?
Quote:
access panel off I did notice there is a "whine" coming from the motor itself
Never tried that - I'd probably notice a whine with my access panel off too - don't think this means much.
Quote:
felt the coil after getting uphill and it wasn't hot or warm at all
OK - that's one potential power-killing problem eliminated.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #27
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

If your batteries are getting age/sulfated you "can" force a couple equalization charges. You do that by unplugging the cart after a charge - wait a couple hours, and then plug it in without moving it until the charge finishes. You can repeat that a couple times. What that does is force a higher finish voltage at the end of the charge cycle to re-equalize your pack. That can sometimes improve degraded batteries to the point where you can finish the season with them - but your just buying time. I would also replace your cables with 4 ga. Whatever amps/torque your pack can push out will be better delivered to the motor. I can't think of anything else to improve your torque - short of new batteries. Oh - and assuming your cart's regen hasn't been altered with cut wires etc, you can replace your sensor and likely restore it. Because your hill brake isn't working - it seems likely the sensor has failed (unless some smarter people can think of another cause).
Old 06-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #28
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did remember to measure all the cables and I found a guy on eBay that custom makes sets, I'm going to get the 4gauge set, I've heard people suggest getting the bare copper lugs instead of the tinned copper, it's a few dollars more but seems like it would give the most contact..? At the beginning of the season I did try an Epsom salt treatment and I used the desulfator mode on my charger to "desulfate" each battery individually which seemed to give it a little more pep, but it still bogs going up hills. So it sounds like to me I'm saving up for new batteries everyone says Trojans are the top of the line, are there other brands that compare to them but might be a little cheaper? I got a quote of $940 from one place!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #29
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I did try an Epsom salt treatment and I used the desulfator mode on my charger to "desulfate" each battery individually which seemed to give it a little more pep
Aha - keeping secret details about your suspected battery issue! Epsom salt treatment is not recommended by battery experts. They perceive it as snake oil and potentially damaging.
Quote:
everyone says Trojans are the top of the line
Either Trojan T-875 or Crown CR-165 are said to be the gold standard. Personally I run Trojans - and got an astounding 12 years out of my first set of fastidiously maintained Trojans before they got too slow at the end of a round of golf. That kind of battery lifespan is not normal - they were used only for golf 6 mos./yr cold-stored & winter cycled monthly and then wintered on battery minder for their final 2 years.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #30
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Haha, I as more in denial than keeping secrets. I kept them fully charged all winter I would go out there every 3 weeks or so and throw them on a charger just to top them off so I figured they would be the same as last year, I as told it wouldn't be a bad idea to do an Epsom salt and a desulfator treatment seeing as they were a little older. As for brands of batteries im thinking I guess if I gotta dish out the money for new ones, I should probly buy the best ones, I've always lived by u get what u pay for. Im gonna throw on the new cables and run these batteries for all they're worth and that's that I guess! Thanks again guys for all the info/help....really wish it were a cheaper fix but hey you can't deny the inevitable

Tags
club car speed sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car