lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Zorba1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Voltage reducer and fuse block installed

Finally hooked up my voltage reducer and fuse block. Many thanks for all the advice.
Went with a RedHawk VOLT-2000 and a Blue Sea 5025 block with ground.
Mounted it under seat. Pic attached.
Wired as follows:
Red from reducer to Battery #1 +
Black (long lead) from reducer to B- bullet connector behind Battery #4
Yellow from reducer to key switch
Green from reducer to fuse block +
Black (short lead) to fuse block -
Should I have done anything differently?
Main reason I installed it was because someone previously installed light running on 16 volts. Not going to add a lot of accessories but now I have the option....correctly.
A lot of good people with good advice on this site for novices like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voltage reducer1.jpg (203.5 KB, 0 views)
Zorba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer and fuse block installed

Sounds right on the money. Usually some run the main negative back the the B- on the controller (so usage is monitored by the OBC) but it sounds like you found another place.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Zorba1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was under the assumption that the B- bullet connector wire coming from the controller area was from the controller. Would I have to remove the cover and connect directly to one of the terminals on the controller?
Old 07-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Sounds right on the money. Usually some run the main negative back the the B- on the controller (so usage is monitored by the OBC) but it sounds like you found another place.
??? I thought Zorba said that he connected to the B-.

There is a black lead with a yellow bullet connector (behind the batteries) which is the B- connector. I think Zorba connected to that.

At least that's what it is like on the Precedent.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba1 View Post
I was under the assumption that the B- bullet connector wire coming from the controller area was from the controller. Would I have to remove the cover and connect directly to one of the terminals on the controller?
No, where you connected it sounds right.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #7
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very clean install Zorba.... thanks for sharing. I'm getting ready to start my 12 volt system install on my DS. I'm considering placing the reducer and fuse block somewhere up front since my cart is used off road and the battery area is very open to the elements and all my 12 volt wiring will be up front. Just need to get 48v pack (+) & (-) routed to the front.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
Zorba1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a 2011 Precedent yawood and that where I connected the negative. Thanks.
I was a a litle aprehensive about mounting in battery compartment but seemed like a nice dry place and easily accessible. Purchased from East Coast Custom Golf Carts, who are local, and they mount them there with no issues.
Waiting to see how hot it gets but actually mounted it against two raised areas so it gets air all around.
Now to hoook up led accent lights and usb outlet.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba1 View Post
I have a 2011 Precedent yawood and that where I connected the negative. Thanks.
I was a a litle aprehensive about mounting in battery compartment but seemed like a nice dry place and easily accessible.
Shouldn't be a problem at all and it is a nice neat install, well done.

The only reason I did not install mine there was that I wanted it closer to the dash where the various 12V things will be but that's not necessary. I could have mounted it where you did and then just run a 12V line forward to a distribution point under the dash. There's a metal plate mounting point under the front bodywork and that's where I put mine.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
Brandon C.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey guys, just tried to install me volt-2001 based on the discussion in this tread, but something’s not right. I have a CCP 2011 and followed these instructions exactly with the one exception being that I don’t have a fuse block. I’m pretty new at the DIY stuff so please pardon my ignorance. I was also installing a madjax upgrade light kit at the same time when I realized whoever built my cart initially never reduced the voltage to 12 and my regular LED headlights and taillights have been running off 16v. (FYI I got the reducer to run the opt-7 underbody LEDs) anyway, I ran the red positive to battary 1, the black negative to the bullet connector coming out behind battery 4 (near the obc ) and put an F connector on the yellow wire and hooked it to the back of the Key switch. Problem is now I’m getting no power to the black or green wires so my headlights, taillights, and underbody lights aren’t working. It honestly doesn’t even seem like the red hawk reducer is turning on (no sound, no warmth). I checked the black and red wires coming from the battery to the voltage meter and it’s getting roughly 50v but 0 when I check the green and black (short). I checked the fuse and it looks good (And yes the key was turned on) anyone have any ideas???
Brandon C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car