lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
ronbro2017
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car canadian winter maintenance for batteries

received my 2012 club car back from a dealer after some upgrades. He advised that the batteries need to be fully charges before I put it to bed for winter. As it is Nov and in Alberta its dame cold and a ft of snow at my Rv site where I park it and a 200k round trip. I was able to get in and hook up the charger. Question is can I leave it on the charger all winter? it gets to -30C here, or should I go back out and disconnect charger, put cart in "tow" mode and disconnect end of last battery. thanks Ronald
ps: stored in a lean-to at my Rv site so out of the weather but unheated.

Last edited by ronbro2017; 11-04-2017 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: added storage details
ronbro2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car canadian winter maintenance for batteries

The cart needs to be in tow anytime you charge it.

The batteries will not freeze if the charger is left on all winter. But they probably will freeze as the charge degrades normally if not left on charge.

Leaving the charger on all winter is the only option, but especially if you have a smart charger that will maintain the batteries while not in use.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

ronbro2017,

You need be sure that your battery charger has a storage mode on it which will keep the batteries charged for the winter storage period. If you are unsure if your charger has a storage mode , discuss it with your Club Car dealer (as some older chargers do NOT have a storage mode feature).

Prior to putting your batteries to bed for the winter, it is recommended to ensure they are filled to the correct level using distilled water. Batteries should always be watered after charging unless plates are exposed before charging. If exposed, plates should be covered by approximately 1/8″ of electrolyte (add distilled water only). Check electrolyte level after charge. The electrolyte level should be kept 1/4″ below the bottom of the fill well in the cell cover. After adding water you should give your batteries one final charge to ensure is water and battery acid are properly mixed in the battery cells.

Various makes and models of battery chargers have different types of storage modes. One type of storage mode is described below:

"Storage Mode" is a feature that comes with every Lester Electrical golf cart battery charger that we sell. When you plug in your charger to your cart it will fully charge the batteries. Once fully charged, the charger goes into its "storage mode" feature so long as it is connected to the golf cart and the wall. When in storage mode, it will charge your batteries only when the following two situations occur (1) the battery voltage drops to a certain predefined voltage AND (2) 10-15 days have elapsed. Once these two criteria are met, the charger will do a refresh charge to bring up the volts again to 100% fully charged. So, unlike a trickle charger that charges non-stop, the Lester charger charges only when the batteries need a good charge.

Again, this is how all Lester automatic battery chargers work. You can leave the charger plugged in even when you're gone for long periods of time (months), and your batteries will not die because they'll get a charge from time to time to keep the volts up. If you are leaving for an extended period of time it is recommended that you plug your charger into a surge suppressor with at least 2,400 joules (i.e.: a surge suppressor made by Tripp Lite or Belkin).

And some more information on a "storage mode" on another make of battery charger:

Unattended batteries will lose approximately 1% of their charge per day when left to sit. The DPI charger has a 5 stage algorithm to insure the best most complete recharge. THe DPI charger has a float or maintenance mode. When the initial charge is complete the charger goes into float mode and holds the pack at a slightly elevated state of charge for 28 days at which point it will initiate a recharge cycle and returned to float mode. This 28 day float and recharge cycle will continue indefinitely. If interrupted by a power outage it will resume charge and float.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Leave it plugged in. You will have a PD3 charger if it's stock and hasn't been changed. It will come on automatically every 10 to 15 days (can't quite recall which) and top up volts if necessary. I live in Chestermere AB and have stored my cart outside under a heavy cover for 14 years. 12 of those years with my stock charger and had no issues. Do not add water to your batteries now. The water will not mix well and is likely to freeze. I always make sure to add water 2 weeks (while cart is in use) before storing, ensuring electrolyte is well mixed in each cell. Lots of us store our carts plugged in all winter, unheated. And the golf course stores 72 carts in an unheated (no doors just steel gates) cart barn exactly the same way.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
ronbro2017
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the advice. I topped up levels and fully charged it in early Oct. before and after last round of the year. I then sent it in to the dealer for some upgrades. They returned the cart Nov 1st but not in a full charged condition. i was not Happy. Anyway that led me to the post. Sounds like leaving it plugged it now is best. Thanks Again.
ronbro2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Some of us USE our carts in Canadian winters!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Doc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
WOAH! Is this true??!? I have NEVER had to put my cart in "Tow" when I charge it...someone please confirm. Mine is a 2013 48V Precedent....
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

Yes somebody please tell me why.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
WOAH! Is this true??!? I have NEVER had to put my cart in "Tow" when I charge it...someone please confirm. Mine is a 2013 48V Precedent....
Please see this recommended Club Car storage flier:

http://www.clubcar.com/content/***/c...orageFlier.pdf

Also note the water level in the batteries. It is often recommended to be 1/4" above the plates. This flier says 1/2" above to 1/4" below the level indicator.

The link is not working now. I'll repost with the downloaded one. See post #11

Last edited by Tom47; 11-05-2017 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Added note
Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Quote:

Yes somebody please tell me why.
It will work either way. However, it is good practice to switch to Tow anytime the vehicle is not being used for a time.

http://www.clubcar.com/content/***/c...orageFlier.pdf

This link is not working now for some reason. I'll repost with the downloaded one. See post #11

Last edited by Tom47; 11-05-2017 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: No link
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car