lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Torn... Gas or Electric

I am very pro-electric. However, in this case I believe the gas cart is the better deal. I wouldn't need the rear seat, which is not a flip seat, then I would have to go with the cargo bed.

You can't be sure about previous owner maintenance, and if those 2 year old batteries were not broken in properly and maintained carefully, you may need new ones in 3 or 4 years.

If you are comfortable with gas engine tuneups, you won't be disappointed.

Also, that 01 is a Regen 2 cart. When you choose to upgrade to IQ, you'll be teaching it new words!

Now the noise issue is a different animal!

Last edited by Tom47; 12-27-2017 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Added info
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Both good deals. Buy both and resale the one you don't want for a small profit to use towards fixing up the other or an iPhone X or whatever.

This is as relative of a question as it gets. Both have advantages. For my use and application, electric hands down. Sometimes there's an up front cost if you need batteries or whatever but maintenance for electric carts is way over exaggerated imo. Once you have fresh batteries, you're talking occasional watering (takes 5 minutes or less) and that's about it. Fresh Trojan or US Battery, or Crown Battery batteries last a long time when watered and charged correctly (instruction and tips for this are right here in the forum) . All you have to do is water once every few weeks (learn your water consumption and it may be much longer) and keep it plugged to the charger when not in use and you're good.

Electric has the benefits of no noise, no smell, more torque (in most applications) and no tendency to act up in extreme weather conditions. I ride through the woods and around my property all weekend on a single charge. Unless you're trying to drive to Kroger 10 miles from your house to get groceries on your cart, I'm not sure where gas is beneficial. It's nice to have normal volume level conversations with passengers without having to talk over the motor. Also you won't have to worry about profanity in front of the kids when the choke won't start the motor. There's a lot that can go south in an internal combustion engine. Much less that goes wrong with batteries and an electric motor. Compare oil changes, filter changes, spark plug changes, valve lash adjustments, drive belt changes, and clutch replacement to 5 minutes of watering batteries every 2-6 weeks. Again, jmo.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #13
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

ok, talking Yearly Maintenance between Gas vs Electric
Figure a 5 year span and cost on average per year breakdown

Electric - Avg $150 Year (750/5)
...1 Set of Batteries $750 (5 year life)
...Water 5 minutes a month

Gas - Avg $80 Year (50+(50+100)/5)
...Oil Change, Oil, Filter, Fuel Filters, Air Filter, Spark Plug $50 year 30 minutes
...Belts $50 (1x in 5 years)
...Battery $100 (5 year life)
...Clutch x2, Generator Brushes, Fuel Pump, Check & Set Valves (how often to replace these items ?)

Both
...Air, Tires, Grease/ Lube, Rear End, Cleaning, Brakes, etc...
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #14
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan315 View Post
ok, talking Yearly Maintenance between Gas vs Electric
Figure a 5 year span and cost on average per year breakdown

Electric - Avg $150 Year (750/5)
...1 Set of Batteries $750 (5 year life)
...Water 5 minutes a month

Gas - Avg $80 Year (50+(50+100)/5)
...Oil Change, Oil, Filter, Fuel Filters, Air Filter, Spark Plug $50 year 30 minutes
...Belts $50 (1x in 5 years)
...Battery $100 (5 year life)
...Clutch x2, Generator Brushes, Fuel Pump, Check & Set Valves (how often to replace these items ?)

Both
...Air, Tires, Grease/ Lube, Rear End, Cleaning, Brakes, etc...
Don't forget the trips to the gas station to fill the 5 gallon can! I hate doing that for my lawn mower. And I only drive that every two weeks!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #15
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

lol, yeah there is that, sucks the closest gas station is 1/2 mile from my house
then there are at least 3 others within a mile and half :/
Old 12-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

You are lucky with the gas stations.

Mine is 8 miles 1 way so 16 mile round trip for gas. Which I guess is better than the nearest grocery store (24 miles 1 way - 48 miles round trip).

Maybe that's why I have several extra gas and diesel cans for quick refills.
And a 2nd refrigerator for groceries.

Lets see, I just need a basement, guns, ammo, water, and two way radio and I'm ready for for the zombie attacks...
justwondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #17
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwondering View Post
You are lucky with the gas stations.

Mine is 8 miles 1 way so 16 mile round trip for gas. Which I guess is better than the nearest grocery store (24 miles 1 way - 48 miles round trip).

Maybe that's why I have several extra gas and diesel cans for quick refills.
And a 2nd refrigerator for groceries.

Lets see, I just need a basement, guns, ammo, water, and two way radio and I'm ready for for the zombie attacks...
Plus a generator, charger, and a real fast ELECTRIC golf cart so you can outrun them when you're outside.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #18
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

yeah i keep 2 5 gals in the garage, since we live on the coast, keep them and fill them during hurricane season. use them for the generator. have smaller 2.5 gal i use for the mower. only have a push, small yard :/

if the zombies walk and move like anything in the movies, you can out run them with a walker !!

i got the generator, guns, ammo, & water... could use one of those basement things you speak of.

cant figure out what the 2-way radios would be for ?? if ya married, its still only one way communication, she talks you listen and comply. or maybe its to confirm what is NOT in the second fridge when she sends you out to get something that is NOT there !!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #19
BlueandWhiteRV
WE ARE! PENN STATE!

Club Car

solar panels and a bank of batteries will recharge the electric, BearsFan. Provided you have Potassium Iodide. I doubt you will find many like minded individuals on this forum. HaHa.
BlueandWhiteRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Mine is 50' a 100' round trip. Diesel for the tractor, about 10 miles.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car