lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default battery condition question...bulging

The '04 DS is new to me, and I am in the process of cleaning, repairing, etc. It has been used solely as a golf cart, which is what I will use it for.

Yesterday, I removed all the battery cables, and took out the batteries (new in Dec., 2012). Water level was fine in each. I cleaned the posts, and installed new cables throughout. The only thing that concerns me is that every battery had some small amount of bulge somewhere. None were so bad that they came anywhere close to touching the adjacent battery when installed, but the bulging does concern me.

The batteries are 5 years old last month, and I know that is old for cart batteries. They were used for 2.5 years, then the owner became ill, and passed away. The son kept them charged and maintained the last two years, though the cart was never used. I am still getting a consistent top speed, no problem going up hills, and the cart runs fine for the 4+ miles it is used on the golf course between full charges.

Is the bulging a sign of new batteries needed soon, or is that not an issue as long as they are holding a good charge?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Jim, Las Vegas
buckmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery condition question...bulging

Bulging is very common in cart batteries. As the batteries age the expansion during charging causes the case to pooch. It not an indication of anything other than they are no longer new but, you knew that. At 5 yrs you should start budgeting for replacements
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good answer, Scotty. I figured I might be on borrowed time with the batteries. One of my golf friends has a DS 48v with 7 years + on the batteries, and I know that is unusual.

Are T875 still considered the best for a 48V system? Are there others equally as good, but at less cost? According to the local Interstate dist., their GC8-HD-UTL battery is made by Trojan, and identical in every way to the T875, but at abut $25 each less. Thoughts?

Jim
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good answer, Scotty.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 01-13-2018 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: double posted....
Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That hard to say... some of these big companies bought other companies and "compete" against each other for the market share. I believe Interstate did buy Trojan so your dealer could be telling the truth but I would want to see that the amp hours, weight, and warranty are identical before I would come down off the Trojan flag pole.

My wife's Aunt had 9 yr old Trojans working daily and charging nightly... so yeah, if your run time demands are not big you can go and go and go like that Bunny
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
Good answer, Scotty. I figured I might be on borrowed time with the batteries. One of my golf friends has a DS 48v with 7 years + on the batteries, and I know that is unusual.
NoleFan4Ever has a set of US Battery that he reports are over 7 years and still going very strongly. It all depends on how well the batteries are maintained and that they are not treated badly. There's every chance that you'll get another couple of years from yours.

Based on advice from this forum I bought a Granite "Save A Battery" ( 50W 48V model 2365-48 ). I got mine from JB Tool Sales because they had a good price but they are available elsewhere. After each cart use I charge the pack with the CC charger first then connect the Save A Battery and let it stay connected until the next use.

A mate of mine bought a 2015 cart and when he first used it (after a full standard charge) his battery warning light came on after the 10th hole. He bought a Save A Battery and has used my maintenance method for the past two months and he no longer gets the warning in 18 holes + short travel to and from.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:13 AM   #7
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I had bulging Club Car (made by Crown) batteries on my old DS that were 5 years old and they still charged and held charge well enough to do 36 holes of golf in a day. I wouldn't worry too much about their physical shape. If you want to check their condition, just do regular volt-meter tests on the individual batteries and that will tell you if any of them are nearing the end of their useful life.
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

If the positive battery post starts to bulge up, then that's an issue. Other than that, bulging batteries are normal.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, everyone for your answers. With as little use as the cart gets, and the good maintenance, I will be fine for awhile.
Jim
Old 01-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
According to the local Interstate dist., their GC8-HD-UTL battery is made by Trojan, and identical in every way to the T875, but at abut $25 each less.
Trojan is associated with Charlesbank Capital, a private equity firm. I can find no connection between Trojan and Interstate in the context of these two batteries.

This Interstate GC8-HD-UTL battery case and caps look identical to PD+ Factory Club Car batteries. I have found significant speculation that PD+ batteries are currently made by Johnson Controls.

s-l1600.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car