lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #1
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default speed magnet install fail...big problem???

Man, this is embarrassing to relate, after having read another post about the same problem...

I have an '04 CC DS IQ ADC motor. Have read many conflicting opinions about speed magnets, though all indicating how simple it is, and can't hurt anything, right?

So, I get my little magnet. Jack up the passenger rear wheel, remove the wheel and the liner. There is the sensor. Two interesting screws on either side. I first try to gently pry the sensor out, but it doesn't come out, so I take out the two screws, and pry again...and, with a little more force. It comes out nice and clean, and I realize it WAS a press fit. So, I insert the two screws back in, and they grab onto....nothing.....

I abandoned the new magnet install, and buttoned everything back up, all the while berating myself for being more stupid than anyone else who said it was so easy. I mean, I am thinking motor R&R, lots of $$, etc. Get it all back together, and it runs like nothing ever happened. However, there are now two screws not holding something in place, right, or wrong? If the screws were quite tight before, and now they are in my hand, something is amiss, correct?

Am I going to damage anything by driving it? Do I need to park it and remove the motor and have a pro reassemble whatever is no longer screwed in place???? *&$#%...$%& #& @ ^%&$%

Jim
buckmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: speed magnet install fail...big problem???

Here this will help

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...t-mistake.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Motor diagram to help you visualize it:

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:27 AM   #3
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the visualization, but I am kinda dense when it comes to electric motors. Are you saying I removed the bearing retainer screw? If so, what will that do, now or in the future? Is the bearing going to fall loose within the motor? Is is going to stay in place, but burn out?

Do the two screws put pressure on the bearing to keep it on the shaft, or is there a nut on the bearing? The diagram does not show a contact point, or hole for the screw, or nut to secure them. With the screws out, what will happen? I clearly see the bearing retainer, but don't see any indication of how the screws are secured.

Like I posted, do I need to park it, and get it fixed, or can I keep operating it?

Can I remove the end shield without anything else simply falling out of place? If I remove the end shield, will I see where the screws need to attach to (something)? Can this be fixed without removing the motor?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you follow the link? There's quite a bit of info there.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Did you follow the link? There's quite a bit of info there.
Yes, there is a lot of info there, for sure. I think what concerned most was how you can go from loosening two simple screws to having a professional reassemble the motor, as the linked story goes. Hopefully, that will not be the outcome for me.

I will pull the motor this afternoon, and see if I can get the bearing retainer to draw back up with a longer screw.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As you probably figured out by now, the bearing retainer in threaded.

You also bought the wrong magnet as you have a GE motor.

You just "pop" the speed sensor on the GE motors, there are no screws holding it like the "top hat" speed sensor on an ADC motor.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnet-comparison.jpg (25.8 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Bustmeister2 don't feel bad, I alone with many others on this forum have done the same thing. That's how we know so much about it. Be sure to put the cart in TOW and unhook the batteries before removing the motor. Don't ask how I know
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As you probably figured out by now, the bearing retainer in threaded.

You also bought the wrong magnet as you have a GE motor.

You just "pop" the speed sensor on the GE motors, there are no screws holding it like the "top hat" speed sensor on an ADC motor.

Sergio, I think he has the correct one. I think you may have missed the part where he said “after getting it out he realized it WAS a press fit”. Not trying to call you out, as you have much more Cart expertise than I, just making sure not adding additional confusion to the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

This works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Take the cap off of the motor. Go to the hardware store and find a screw that matches one of the ones you removed, but longer. About 2-3 inches long. Use it as your fishing pole. I believe it's an 8-32 screw. Once you get the long one you can screw it into the bearing retainer a little, mount the plate, and use the longer screw to position the plate while you start the small original screw. Once you tighten the original screw, remove the long one and replace it with the other original screw.
You may can fish for it without removing the end cap or just take it off and check the brushes too.
Use the longer screws to get it lined up and then replace with the shorter screws one at a time.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

My comment was because he mentioned he had an ADC motor on the first post and may have bought a magnet for it:

Quote:
I have an '04 CC DS IQ ADC motor....
Those screws don't exist on an ADC motor, just on a GE.

He should be able to "fish" the retainer bracket without disassembling the motor using the method David described.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car