lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2018, 02:42 AM   #1
Bajrang
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Curtis 803

I recently bought a Curtis 803 "Fuel" Gauge / Hours Meter for Emma's 36 volt DS Project, and one for my Avatar. Tonight I set about installing Emma's and every time I look at the instructions my, left the 60's a day-to-late, mind goes on tilt. I can't even get past the single voltage/dual voltage chart on the first page. I thought I remembered mention of this unit here, but haven't had any luck there either. I was hoping for a simple "run a wire from pin x to B+, a wire from pin xy to B-, and a wire from ignition switch to pin xyz," but the charts really threw me. Did I buy the wrong units? Could someone, speaking to me like I was a Mynah Bird, walk me through this please?
Thanks,
Brian
www.morethanthecar.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CURTIS 803.jpg (482.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CURTIS 803 1.jpg (559.2 KB, 0 views)
Bajrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2018, 04:21 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Curtis 803 HELP PLEASE!

If I am understanding your question correctly, it is as simple as you said, but the instructions are just busy.

On the back of the gauge following the pinout from your directions you would do the following:

Pin 8 to Battery + (as this is a single voltage (36v))
Pin 5 to battery -
Pin 2 to the output side of your keyswitch (turns on the LED)
Pin 6 to the output side of your keyswitch (powers the hour meter)

Pin 3 & 4 are not used unless you are trying energize a lift lockout circuit at "Empty"
Pin 7 is not used as it is for Dual voltage
Pin 1 in not used
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Curtis 803 HELP PLEASE!

You most likely have a dual voltage model since they don't list a single voltage greater than 24v.

Using pin 7 or 8 for power will depend on the exact model you You have.

If you have the 24/36v model, then pin 8 is correct since You want to use the highest of the supported voltages.

If You have a 36v/48v model, then You want to use pin 7 since 36v is the lower of the two supported voltages.

The Hour meter connection depends on what You are trying to measure.

If You connect pin 6 to the cold side of the key switch, it will count how many hours the key switch is ON, regardless if You are driving the cart.

You can also connect the Hour Meter to only measure the time the Controller is powering the Motor.

If Your cart uses a positive Solenoid activation (most 36v Series carts), then connect pin 6 to the positive side of the solenoid coil and leave pin 1 disconnected.

If You have a Sepex cart with a negative Solenoid activation, then connect pin 1 to the negative side of the solenoid activation coil and leave pin 6 disconnected.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:59 PM   #4
Bajrang
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Curtis 803

Working! hot to pin 7, pin 6 to + side of solenoid, 5 to battery pack -, 2 to cold key.

Man, I am NO good at soldering those little pins for the Molex. Bad hands, but found I could buy them wired at $6 with 8 pin Molex on one end and two 4 pins on the other. Much better, I'll just clip off

I got so tired of cheap charge level gauges, and the "go home now" light on my DS Turf All, doesn't give me much confidence if I've been climbing our steep roads all day. I saw a 803 and liked it. I bought one on eBay for $66 and change, and the seller asked if I wanted 9 more at a good price. I replied that most of my friends can't spend more than $35, and he sold the other 9 for $37. each including shipping. Sooo, that put me in all ten at $40 each. If any BGW feller wants one at that price (+ shipping) let me know. They are brand new CURTIS 803 Round Battery Meter & Hour Meter 803RB2448BCJ301O.
thanks so much for all the good advice
Brian
www.morethanthecar.com
Old 03-31-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I thought your cart was 36v, the model 803RB2448BCJ301O does not support 36v (only 24v or 48v).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #6
Bajrang
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

hmmmm, thanks for catching that. It seemed to work, but the info suggests you're right. The other two carts (Sparky and Turf-All) are 48v, but I'm ignoring them until we get Emma's on the road. Thanks again.
Brian
www.morethanthecar.com
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car