lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default ‘88 resistor DS cart was running..now it’s not...help!!

Ok guys I’ve been working on this ‘88 ds cart that WAS running when it was first brought in but would only go FORWARD fine when the selector was in the REVERSE position and would hardly go in REVERSE while it was the FORWARD position and every time the F/R lever was moved it automatically engaged the solenoid. After further inspection I found the key switch to be bad and also the last resistor in the Vglide was toasted so I replaced both along with the solenoid to be safe. That fixed the automatic engagement of the solenoid and also made it run stronger albeit in the wrong direction still and also when the wiper made contact with the last resistor it would arc heavily and no reverse at all. So essentially I had a strong forward and no reverse so I proceeded to see what was backwards and got a hold of a service manual with great illustrated diagrams and sure enough there were some wires not in the right places so I got everything wired the way it’s suppose to be and I’ve checked it ten times I know of and now I have absolutely nothing, no solenoid engagement at all, no movement, nothing. The only thing I’m not sure of is how the motor is wired because it’s old and no indication of which post is what. Here are some pics so I’m hoping maybe something stands out obvious to someone. I’ve went through ALL test procedures for the control circuit and can’t find anything out of the ordinary. I’ve also tested the motor and there doesn’t seem to be any shorts at all. Please help if you can and thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Re: ‘88 resistor DS cart was running..now it’s not...help!!

On a side note the wiring diagrams have the reverse cable (bottom right of f&r switch) being hooked to 24v in the series...anyone know why that is??

Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

First things first. What is going on with that top lug in the first photo? I would replace that (the wire). Soak down the stud with PB Blaster. Clean the threads. USE TWO Wrenches to take it off. CAREFULLY. Do the same with the others. Clean, inspect and replace as necessary.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Just an older cable connection and yes it does need to be replaced...just worried about breaking the studs with it being so old and rusted

Old 04-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Remember, you are dealing with 30 year old fasteners and probably brittle insulators inside. Take your time.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Yes it will break easily. Use a good fitting wrench at the bottom to hold it steady. Take a wire brush and clean the heck out of the threads. After soaking in PB.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams81 View Post
On a side note the wiring diagrams have the reverse cable (bottom right of f&r switch) being hooked to 24v in the series...anyone know why that is??

That is for half speed reverse. It makes it safer when backing up.

LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
twilliams81
Gone Wild

I gotcha...that makes sense. Any idea what motor contacts are from the picture?? Like what A1,S1,A2,S2 are from top to bottom? It’s old and not labeled and the diagram doesn’t give a definitive illustration of which is what and causing me to wonder if it’s even wired correctly.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is labeled. If you use a wire brush to scrape the cast aluminum part of the motor the labels will “show up.” I’ve done it many times.

LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #10
twilliams81
Gone Wild

I have been and haven’t struck pay dirt yet lol...just curious if you knew off hand. I’ll keep at it though

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car