lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default cart not taking a charge

I have a 2004 CC DS which has stopped taking a charge. I plug it in as usual, but the needle on the charger does not move. I plugged the cart into a charger at work, and the same thing.

The red wire that comes out the back of the receptacle looks fine, and is not loose. I removed the other end from the battery and cleaned it off and replaced it, but still no charge.

Could the contacts in the receptacle need cleaning? If so, how do I do that?

Is there anything else that could cause this?

Thanks for the help. Jim
buckmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: cart not taking a charge

There is a inline fuse in the red wire.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The inline fuse on the Red wire is only for ERIC carts, not OBC.

If the charger does not "click", check the fuse in the gray sense wire.

If the charger "clicks" but no current flows, check the fuse on the negative wire on the back of the cart's charger receptacle.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
mardad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

could below voltage.
mardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If the charger does not "click", check the fuse in the gray sense wire.
If the charger "clicks" but no current flows, check the fuse on the negative wire on the back of the cart's charger receptacle.
Charger DOES NOT click at all. I don't know what a "sense" wire is, but I did check the fuse on the gray wire, which is inside a yellow connector (see pic). The fuse is fine. I also replaced the old terminal connection on the red wire, (now a yellow terminal in pic). None of this has helped.

Another post simply said "low voltage"?. I don't know if that is a reference to low voltage in the line to the charger, which is fine, or low voltage of the batteries, which I would think would not cause the charger to not come on.

A friend of mine has what I believe is 2002 DS cart, looks identical to mine. He recently had the exact same issue. A cart repair place told him there is a voltage regulator in the rear of the cart that regulates charger voltage, in the event you are using a charger without internal regulation. They told him that regulator was bad. They "bypassed" that regulator, and sold him a newer charger, even though his Club Cart charger was fine. His batteries are now taking a charge. They got him for $750...I think there is something wrong there. Anyway, is their story about a regulator correct, and might that be the problem?

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_1158.jpg (206.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 102_1159.jpg (225.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just went down to the golf course and checked my charger on my friend's cart, and it clicked on and started charging, so I know the charger is good. I tried his charger on my cart, and it did nothing.

I don't know much about electronics. but I did try to check the flow of voltage of my cart's receptacle. I inserted the positive probe into the location the red wire goes to, and the negative into the negative hole in the receptacle, and it showed 50+ volts, so doesn't that mean that my receptacle is okay? If my receptacle shows a clear flow of voltage, and my charger is working fine on my friend's cart, what else could there be? Could it be the mysterious regulator that was supposedly interrupting the charge on my friend's Club Cart (above)?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
SparkDr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Read the voltage across the entire battery back. On my cart, if voltage is too low, the charge cycle will not start. I had to charge each battery individually for a bit to get enough voltage for the charger to kick on. Smarter guys than me can chime in with the true numbers, but it think it needs a minimum of 30-35 volts across the pack on a 48v cart in order to be able to trigger the charge cycle.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The "regulator" they are talking about is the OBC.

The voltage measured between the positive and the negative receptacle sockets should be around 42v, the receptacle negative goes to the OBC not pack negative.

If the charger is not clicking and the fuse in the yellow fuse holder (sense wire) is good, the OBC failed.

You can just by-pass the OBC and buy a smart charger yourself.

Check out the site sponsors, they have choices for under $300:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/chargers-36-48v.html
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
buckmeister2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio, I had considered that, as that is what they did to my friend's cart. Where is the OBC located, and how do I get to it to bypass it?

thanks,
Jim
Old 04-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

YOu can always disconnect the pack negative for 10-15 minutes to reset the OBC and see if the charger works after that.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car