lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Redrooster1875
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Club Car DS Solid State Conversion Trouble w/ HD F&R Switch

Scottyb recommended I post my questions about my install in this forum.

I’ve read the instructions numerous times but I really need help.

There is not a yellow wire on my pedal as mentioned in the instructions. It only has red, blue, black, and green wires.

I’m confused with the MS1 and MS2 vs S1 and S2.

Blue from the foot pedal goes to MS1 but I still can’t figure out which one MS1 is. It looks like I splice a wire and add it to MS1. That wire then goes to the positive side of the solenoid?

Thanks for your help!

IMG_0896.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redrooster1875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 Club Car DS Solid State Conversion Trouble w/ HD F&R Switch

The pedal harness is already made up for you. Red and yellow have been spliced into the fused link (red) It says so on page 4 and it says this is to be connected to the ignition switch. Which by the way is connected to the Solenoid big terminal where the battery #1 cable goes.

There are 3 leads left, only one, the blue wire has a super small spade that fits on the super small terminal on F&R micro switch. We can see this wire in your photo. "MS1 is on the F&R". We know this because that is printed on the install diagram.

MS = micro switch. We know that because it is in the instruction.
S1 & S2 are motor terminals
A1 & A2 are also motor terminals

The green wire has a 1/4" spade that goes to the throttle signal to controller at J5

The black wire has a 5/16 ring terminal that goes to the battery main (-)

I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
sunnydays
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It helped me. It appears you are on top of it Scotty and it reassures me to purchase a upgrade kit.
sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Redrooster1875
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The pedal harness is already made up for you. Red and yellow have been spliced into the fused link (red) It says so on page 4 and it says this is to be connected to the ignition switch. Which by the way is connected to the Solenoid big terminal where the battery #1 cable goes.

There are 3 leads left, only one, the blue wire has a super small spade that fits on the super small terminal on F&R micro switch. We can see this wire in your photo. "MS1 is on the F&R". We know this because that is printed on the install diagram.

MS = micro switch. We know that because it is in the instruction.
S1 & S2 are motor terminals
A1 & A2 are also motor terminals

The green wire has a 1/4" spade that goes to the throttle signal to controller at J5

The black wire has a 5/16 ring terminal that goes to the battery main (-)

I hope this helps

I followed your instructions above and I don’t have power to the controller.

Regarding the red/yellow wires from the foot control, I don’t have a yellow wire, only a red one (photo attached). My batteries are connected correctly because the voltmeter with the kit is reading 37.9.

I have a suspicion that the problem is with the solenoid setup. I’ve attached a picture of mine and labeled it. Is it correct?

Also, I don’t have any wires going to the BLUE - Reverse or GRN - USER. I don’t want the Reduced Reverse option and I don’t have an Optional Personality Switch.

The first attachment is of the cable set coming from my foot pedal and no yellow wire is visible.

The second attachment is a photo from one of your posts with a red and yellow wire visible.

The third attachment is of my solenoid setup and I labeled where each wire or cable is attached.
IMG_0898.JPGIMG_0878.JPGIMG_0899.JPG

Old 04-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
Redrooster1875
Not Yet Wild

Two more pics. Pic one is of the wire attached to MS1.
Pic two is the wire that I connected to the red foot pedal wire and ran to the ignition switch on the left side (“off” key position).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.JPG (182.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0902.JPG (166.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There have been upgrades made to the kit. One upgrade was the yellow and red wire are now being welded to the red fuse link inside the sealed harness. This was done to protect the pedal from customer damage due to reversed polarity connection. The result is you do not see the yellow wire. You see only the red fused lead as shown on the wiring diagram. Changes are being made to the printed instruction to coincide. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the picture. Your solenoid is not clicking and the controller is not powering up because you have not run the wire from the MS1 to the solenoid + terminal as shown on the diagram on page 5.

By the way that AC twist connector and black tape will work for awhile but, it is not a suitable automotive type wire connection for an acidic environment and it will fail. Automotive crimp connectors are needed.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
Redrooster1875
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There have been upgrades made to the kit. One upgrade was the yellow and red wire are now being welded to the red fuse link inside the sealed harness. This was done to protect the pedal from customer damage due to reversed polarity connection. The result is you do not see the yellow wire. You see only the red fused lead as shown on the wiring diagram. Changes are being made to the printed instruction to coincide. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the picture. Your solenoid is not clicking and the controller is not powering up because you have not run the wire from the MS1 to the solenoid + terminal as shown on the diagram on page 5.

By the way that AC twist connector and black tape will work for awhile but, it is not a suitable automotive type wire connection for an acidic environment and it will fail. Automotive crimp connectors are needed.

I added a wire from MS1 to the solenoid positive as instructed. Turned the ignition key on and the led light on the controller never came on. Put the cart in forward and hit the go pedal - nothing. Put the cart in reverse and hit the go pedal - the cart didn’t move but the solenoid clicked. Tried it in forward and reverse again but the solenoid didn’t click.

Should it click in both directions? Also, shouldn’t the led light in the controller come on?

Battery gauge reads 37.7.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
Redrooster1875
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrooster1875 View Post
I added a wire from MS1 to the solenoid positive as instructed. Turned the ignition key on and the led light on the controller never came on. Put the cart in forward and hit the go pedal - nothing. Put the cart in reverse and hit the go pedal - the cart didn’t move but the solenoid clicked. Tried it in forward and reverse again but the solenoid didn’t click.

Should it click in both directions? Also, shouldn’t the led light in the controller come on?

Battery gauge reads 37.7.

Figured it out. Blew the fuse on the red foot pedal wire. Up and running now. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That fuse just save you and me a bunch of trouble and money.
It was a 2 amp fuse. The replacement I sent was a 3 amp. NEVER put anything bigger than 3 amp in the holder. And enjoy the ride.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car