lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Bdawley68
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 Club Car IQ-P will not run after upgrade

ScottyB and I have gone about as far as we can with this problem and so we are bringing this to the forum for more advice. My golf cart is a 2003 Club Car IQ-P (Pathway) on which I just performed an upgrade to: Red Hawk MOT-A2 motor, new 400a solenoid, Alltrax XCT 500 controller, 2 gauge cables, Mode Lock 3 personality switch.

Problem: No movement of Golf cart when Run/Tow switch is in the "Run" position, the key switch is turned on and the accelerator is engaged.

Background information: Upon doing the upgrade I, like unfortunate others have done before me, mistakenly drilled out the battery (-) cable hole through the OBC to make room for the larger cable. It is reasonable to assume that I'd ruined the OBC. That being the case, I proceeded with performing a bypass of the OBC with the intent of purchasing one of the new chargers that ScottyB offers (Yewy 1200z). As part of the bypass process I routed a wire from the small (-) post of the solenoid to the B- post on the Alltrax controller. I also performed a splice of the blue and white wires of the 6 pin connector that comes from the back of the OBC and then reconnected the connector. The Alltrax toolkit software indicates that the CHARGER PLUGGED IN is "True". I understand that the cart will not run when the controller thinks the charger is plugged in. Question is.....How to get the controller to indicate "False"?

The controller status light gives me 5 green flashes followed by a solid green light. No red flashes are noted.

Any suggestions on where I go from here?
Bdawley68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car IQ-P will not run after upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdawley68 View Post
ScottyB and I have gone about as far as we can with this problem and so we are bringing this to the forum for more advice. My golf cart is a 2003 Club Car IQ-P (Pathway) on which I just performed an upgrade to: Red Hawk MOT-A2 motor, new 400a solenoid, Alltrax XCT 500 controller, 2 gauge cables, Mode Lock 3 personality switch.

Problem: No movement of Golf cart when Run/Tow switch is in the "Run" position, the key switch is turned on and the accelerator is engaged.

Background information: Upon doing the upgrade I, like unfortunate others have done before me, mistakenly drilled out the battery (-) cable hole through the OBC to make room for the larger cable. It is reasonable to assume that I'd ruined the OBC. That being the case, I proceeded with performing a bypass of the OBC with the intent of purchasing one of the new chargers that ScottyB offers (Yewy 1200z). As part of the bypass process I routed a wire from the small (-) post of the solenoid to the B- post on the Alltrax controller. I also performed a splice of the blue and white wires of the 6 pin connector that comes from the back of the OBC and then reconnected the connector. The Alltrax toolkit software indicates that the CHARGER PLUGGED IN is "True". I understand that the cart will not run when the controller thinks the charger is plugged in. Question is.....How to get the controller to indicate "False"?

The controller status light gives me 5 green flashes followed by a solid green light. No red flashes are noted.

Any suggestions on where I go from here?
Those are Your 2 problems so far.

The OBC does not control the negative side of the Solenoid on an IQ cart, the Controller does.

Remove the wire from the Solenoid small post that You used to permanently activate the Solenoid and let the Controller take care of that action.

Disconnect the 6-pin connector from the OBC and discard the OBC entirely.

In the Alltrax Controller Software make sure "Disable the Motor Controller when User3 Input is:" is set to Floating/NC.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Bdawley68
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sergio for your input. When the wire is removed that went from the small (-) solenoid post to B-, the solenoid does not engage. The only wire attached now to the small (-) solenoid terminal is the blue/white striped wire that is goes to pin position 12 of the J1 connector.

The OBC plug was already disconnected from the OBC. All wires were cut off the OBC that went to the 6-pin plug. I had pulled all redundant pins from the 6-pin plug (except for the blue and white wires), spliced the blue and white wires together and then re-plugged the plug into the harness that goes to the controller.

I made the changes as you recommended in the Alltrax Toolkit software.

Still no movement, at the very least due to the fact that the solenoid does not engage.

The Alltrax Toolkit software no longer says the charger is plugged in. Instead it says False but the circle next to it is NOT filled.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The XCT Controller will only activate the Solenoid when all input conditions are satisfied.

Load the Alltrax Software and go to Monitor:

Does the "Relay Status" shows ON when You press the pedal?

If it does, make sure there is continuity on the Blue/White wire to the Controller Connector.

If it does NOT show Relay Status=ON:
Does the Keyswitch Input = ON with Key switch ON?
Does the Forward Switch Input = On when in Forward?
Does FootSwitch = ON when You press the Pedal?
Does HPD Satisfied = True?
Old 05-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Bdawley68
Not Yet Wild

Sergio...I got it working. The two additional things I did was to (1) completely disconnect the OBC computer (taking the black wire off the back of the charger port, disconnecting the inline fuse going to the OBC and disconnecting or cutting off all other wires coming out the back of the OBC; (2) Installed a 10 ga wire from the back of the charger port to the (-) terminal of battery #6.

I was stumped for a while when I started checking the controller monitor for the information you requested only to find out that the Tow/Run switch was in the "Tow" position.

I think all is well......Except: my F/R rocker switch is now backwards to what it ought to be. Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Alltrax does not appear to know their F1s from F2s in a Club Car.

You need to swap the F1 and F2 wires either at the Controller or at the Motor itself, whichever is more convenient.

Edit: The above is assuming the buzzer is sounding when the FNR is on Reverse, regardless which way the cart is moving.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Bdawley68
Not Yet Wild

Great! All happy now. Thanks again Sergio and ScottyB.

Tags
motor & controller change, ocb bypass problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car