lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2003 Club Car DS - weak brakes - not grabbing

First post here!

So I just picked up a 2003 Club Car DS IQ. I've been reading non-stop online trying to immerse myself in its operation.

Anyway, the cart appears to run fine aside from 2 issues:

1. Brakes feel a little on the weak side. The pedal is very firm and actually there's very little play (can't press it down past half way if that makes sense). The stopping distance is okay - it just doesn't have the bite I'm used to. I've been around carts all my life and this is the first one I can't make lock up. I took one of the hubs off. I see nothing obviously wrong - pads had no abnormal wear and had sufficient thickness. I cleaned the assembly and reinstalled but no difference. The hub was hard to get off/on, but spun like it was supposed to from what i can tell (not loose, but not overly tight).

Would new set of pads help? Are you all allowed to post shopping links?

2. When "cold" and at full speed/coasting, I hear a very slight whine. It doesn't sound like the rear end, because it's higher pitched/tinny. Seems like the rear end whine would be deeper. After half a mile this noise is completely gone.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
brett92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car DS - weak brakes - not grabbing

I would check the brake cables underneath. That is often a source of trouble on DS’s and Carryall. Make sure they are in good shape and the rubber isn’t damaged.

Luke

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett92 View Post
First post here!

So I just picked up a 2003 Club Car DS IQ. I've been reading non-stop online trying to immerse myself in its operation.

Anyway, the cart appears to run fine aside from 2 issues:

1. Brakes feel a little on the weak side. The pedal is very firm and actually there's very little play (can't press it down past half way if that makes sense). The stopping distance is okay - it just doesn't have the bite I'm used to. I've been around carts all my life and this is the first one I can't make lock up. I took one of the hubs off. I see nothing obviously wrong - pads had no abnormal wear and had sufficient thickness. I cleaned the assembly and reinstalled but no difference. The hub was hard to get off/on, but spun like it was supposed to from what i can tell (not loose, but not overly tight).

Would new set of pads help? Are you all allowed to post shopping links?

2. When "cold" and at full speed/coasting, I hear a very slight whine. It doesn't sound like the rear end, because it's higher pitched/tinny. Seems like the rear end whine would be deeper. After half a mile this noise is completely gone.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wanna bring it to Evans? I'd love to take a look at it for you. Call me if you're interested. 706-836-7210.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Are you all allowed to post shopping links?
Welcome, and that would be a "no-no" if it is other cart parts suppliers as there are those here that pay to be site sponsors. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

You have the resident CC Guru (TahoeDawgZ71) right around the corner from you and I see he is offering help. I would make the call
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the replies so far. Just wanted to add that the whine noise is different than the regen noise. Actually the whine is quieter. Maybe that will help isolate what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Wanna bring it to Evans? I'd love to take a look at it for you. Call me if you're interested. 706-836-7210.
Yeah thanks TahoeDawg. I'd be honored to have an expert look it over. I've seen your posts coming up in a lot of my searches. I'll try to send you a private message on here or call you tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. Just wanted to add that the whine noise is different than the regen noise. Actually the whine is quieter. Maybe that will help isolate what it is.

Yeah thanks TahoeDawg. I'd be honored to have an expert look it over. I've seen your posts coming up in a lot of my searches. I'll try to send you a private message on here or call you tomorrow.
Perfect. Sounds good!
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #7
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just wanted to update this thread with a couple of new findings.

I rotated both wheels by hand and I can definitely feel the brakes grabbing then letting go, then grabbing again. I guess either the shoes or drums are out of round/warped. Both wheels are doing it. I can sometimes feel the pulsating when braking.

Also, initially I only removed my passenger side rear tire to inspect the brakes. I decided to remove the driver side tire the other day. Well, I was surprised to find one of my lugs is seized on the stud and the stud itself is loose. I'm in the process of trying to drill it out. Spent about 30 minutes trying to drill it. I know it's going to take a while but I wonder if there's a better way - what would you all recommend?

BTW, Kudos to TahoeDawg who reached out to me, which I greatly appreciate. I don't have a truck so I don't have a good way to transport my cart. At some point I plan to borrow a family member's and take it over to him to have a lookover. Right now just trying to do as much as I can.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #8
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

here's a picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180608_003953.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #9
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
here's a picture...

That is not a fun job[emoji849]

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #10
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
That is not a fun job[emoji849]
You're telling me

I read where one guy spent an hour drilling one out. I'm about 30 minutes in, so maybe I just need to give it more time.

I borrowed a small angle grinder but it's not small enough to get it in there, plus i don't have a lot of experience with one of those anyway. I thought about taking a small dremel and trying to make surgical cuts in the lugnut but not sure it's powerful enough.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car