lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
IslandCart
Not Yet Wild

Default Power Drive Model #17930 Cutting Out

I have a Power Drive Model #17930. When I plug it into a chargeable cart the charger relay engages and the ammeter jumps up to approximately 10 amps and then starts cutting in and out back to 0-10 Amps, up and down three or four times and finally shuts off. The relay appears to be good and the heat sink appears to be good as well. Any ideas?
IslandCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Power Drive Model #17930 Cutting Out

I would take it apart and tighten every lug/connection, remove and reinstall every spade connection, then if you know it is the charger (does it on anything you plug it into), I would have to think a faulty (intermittent) relay or failing diode unless your transformer has a bad winding and is failing. Also make sure something has not came loose in the pigtail or at the carts receptacle.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
IslandCart
Not Yet Wild

Good Idea! I will take each connector and connection apart and spray it down with Hilco Lube and then give it another try. I have tried the charger on other carts and have determined its definitely a charger issue. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
IslandCart
Not Yet Wild

I cleaned everything up, tried again, same scenario. This time after a cpl of back and forth 0-15 amps the ammeter went to 0 and the relay tried to kick it back on but couldnt. I bypassed the relay and got the same results. Will either side of a PD3 Diod do the same thing as the PD1 Heat Sink?
Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

After you find all the connections are ok this would be a good time to convert to a DPI Smart Charger or one of Scottys smart chargers.(I forgot the name)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I believe it is a little different due the transformer design. The PD3's had a top and side mounted to control the primary and secondary sides.

You have a PD1 right? Yours has the single heatsink as compared to a rectifier. If so, that is all that it can be that will cause the ammeter to be erratic as long as there is nothing wrong with the transformer.

You can get one here: https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...15914-heatsink
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
IslandCart
Not Yet Wild

Sounds Good! Ill get one ordered and give it a try. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
IslandCart
Not Yet Wild

So the single Heat Sink came in today. I stuck it in the charger and I'm getting the same response. The charger comes on, after about 30 seconds it cycles off like its doing the self test with the cart, comes back on and then within a minute or two it continues doing the same thing. Cycles ON and back off. I changed the heat sink and the relay. Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The charger only does as it's told to do. The OBC is in charge of how the charger behaves. If the relay is "clicking" on and off, it's done so based on the voltage supplied and/or removed from the OBC charger turn/on circuit. Listen closely to see if you hear a click as the charger turns on and off. If you do, it's not a charger problem at all.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
IslandCart
Not Yet Wild

I have tried the charger on multiple carts with the same response. NO issues detected with the OBC or other chargers on thos carts. Any new ideas?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car